Our Law LLB is a professionally qualifying Law degree, designed to make you stand out as an exceptional lawyer, and informed by progressive legal knowledge.
We go further than any other Law degree to develop the professional legal skills that will make you stand out to prospective employers, and engage you with the high quality research that will drive the future of the law.
You will be taught by an outstanding team of leading professors, judges, practitioners, textbook authors and experienced professionals, who combine academic kudos with many years of legal practitioner experience.
De Montfort Law School’s Unique First Year Legal Programme
- An intensive week-long taught induction programme to immerse you in the legal skills you need to learn faster and better
- Assessments that are based in the real world and commissioned by external clients to give you a head start with a professional perspective
- The only degree in the country to deliver assessments to the Solicitors Regulation Authority’s Solicitors’ Qualification Examination Specification to get you ready for SQE and for the Bar from Day One
- A Continuing Professional Development scheme to prepare you for qualifying work experience and a programme of events in Leicester, London and internationally to expose you to the leading practitioners and academics
- Fortnightly one-to-one meeting with an academic tutor to give you a personalised approach to learning
- Trial advocacy experience in real courtrooms, judged by members of the judiciary and the Bar.
De Montfort Law School’s Second Year Professional and Academic Development Programme
We offer a core programme of learning that takes you in real time through the process of putting together cases in Tort Law to prepare you for practice and for the Solicitors’ Qualification Examination.
As well as options such as Family Law, Law and Religion, Police Powers and the Law, De Montfort Law School allows you to study courses that no other UK undergraduate degree provides:
- Negotiation and Drafting of International Agreements, jointly delivered with the University of Central Florida and with the opportunity to go to Florida to complete the negotiations face-to-face, with real international negotiations judged by United Nations experts
- Inter-professional Legal Skills, further developing courtroom expertise under the supervision of judges, magistrates, solicitors and barristers and working with specialist clients, such as social workers and healthcare professionals
- The Professional Researcher, working with internationally renowned professors on cutting edge research projects in law reform
- The Lawyer in the Marketplace, which gives you the opportunity to set up your own business with the prospect of real funding, giving you a unique insight into the commercial process.
An outstanding final year experience
The focus of your final year is to give you a competitive advantage in the job market and to support you to get the best degree that you are capable of.
- You will benefit from personal tutor support and a range of professional development opportunities to develop skills in areas that will make you competitive.
- This is complemented by the amazing opportunities presented by #DMUGlobal, our unique Law Volunteering Fair and expert outside speakers.
- This is designed around a curriculum designed to tailor your degree to the next stage of your career or around your academic interests.
- Our outstanding Equity and Trusts core module is delivered by members of our Legal Practice Team, and it is designed to give a genuine practitioner’s insight into this complex area of law and to engage you in the practical skills needed to be a successful lawyer or to understand law as a social reality
- In addition, you have the opportunity to study one of the widest ranges of options, delivered by leading specialists. Specialist options include the following specialist modules:
Medical Law, delivered by a team who are the legal team behind the Human Brain Project
Sports Law, delivered in association with the British Association of Sports Law and our Centre for Research into Sports, Technology and the Law
Unique and outstanding resources to support a unique and outstanding education
- As well as Mock Court Room, De Montfort Law School is the only UK Law School to teach in two real courtrooms; the Criminal and Civil Courts in De Montfort University’s Great Hall
- Law students have a dedicated Law Library and an outstanding range of e-resources, allowing you to access every law on your smartphone or computer, as well as a wealth of textbooks and journal articles
- As well as a client interviewing room, we have a suite in the Innovation Centre which houses our Legal Advice Centre
- Students have access to software normally only available to practitioners
- With one of the largest independent Legal Practice Course Provisions, you can complete your professional education with a 50% reduction on fees for our Legal Practice Course, so that you can qualify quickly without needing to have extensive savings
The 50% fee discount applies equally to our suite of LLM programmes, which you can study flexibly, allowing you to work and study at the same time, while also getting Postgraduate Funding.
Our mission to fight prejudice in access to the Legal Professions
We are proud that one in five DMU students feel confident to declare mental and physical disabilities, and we boast ward-winning support in this area. In Law, our teaching and assessments are designed to ensure that if you have a disability, you are still equipped with the skills and have the opportunity to engage with the challenges that you will face in practice.
We are worried that the legal profession is disproportionately white and from more privileged backgrounds. Through initiatives, such as the Black Lawyer’s Society, working with the Society of Asian Lawyers and promoting the Freshfields Stephen Lawrence Scholarship, we are actively working towards tackling this.
Our staff are ethnically and nationally diverse, giving you the opportunity to choose your personal tutor so that you may forge a mentorship relationship in your first year to support your success, regardless of your background.