This course equips you for a career as a manager, capable of reflecting critically on your own practice and that of an organisation. You will study issues including the impact of HRM practices on firms’ performance, managing change, business law, employment relations, organisational culture, motivation and leadership.
It combines HRM with the study, from beginners’ or post-GCSE or A-level, of a foreign language. At a time when the graduate employment market is very competitive, having a recognised competence in a foreign language can set you apart from most other graduates and thus enhance your career prospects.
Competence in another language has become an essential skill for success in the global job market. By combining your study of Human Resource Management with a language, you will develop not only competence in the language itself, but will also enhance your employability; a language distinguishes you from other graduates.
Did you know that French is an official language in 32 countries, with a projected growth to 750 million people worldwide by 2050; Mandarin Chinese is currently the language with the greatest number of speakers; and Spanish has over 470 million speakers worldwide including in Central and South American countries and the USA? You can start your study of languages at DMU (French, Mandarin or Spanish) at beginner, GCSE (intermediate) or Advanced level.
We currently offer the following language combinations:
- Human Resource Management with French (at beginners' or post-GCSE level)
- Human Resource Management with Mandarin Chinese (at beginners' level only), with the opportunity to learn about Chinese life and culture on campus at the Confucius Institute
- Human Resource Management with Spanish
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) Approved Centre. Our programmes are accredited by the CIPD
- You will take two 15 credit modules per study level in your chosen language, which will equate to three hours of language per week. During your weekly language workshop, you will develop your language skills through the study of the country, the society, the culture and the people.
- Gain a CIPD Intermediate Qualification and Associate membership of the CIPD (AssocCIPD) upon graduation, subject to module choice
- Benefit from the expertise of our lecturers, many of whom have worked in business and bring real-world experience into the classroom
- Our specificity is to cater for any language experience, meaning you will study at a level and pace that really suits you and your needs. Learning a new language with us will therefore not only provide you with linguistic skills, but will also enhance skills in your native language and develop your presentation, written and critical skills.
- Boost your employability by having a recognised competence in either French or Mandarin Chinese
- Real-world experience and internationally renowned research in the classroom through lecturers who have worked in industry and produced renowned research in the areas of Work, Employment and Organisation
- Opportunity to study abroad between years two and three, giving you the chance to experience a different culture, practice your language skills and make new contacts
- Enjoy an international experience with DMU Global trips have included Copenhagen, New York, Berlin, San Diego and Toronto
- Placement opportunities with local, national and global companies including NHS, Marks and Spencer, Siemens, Lidl, Rugby Borough Council
- Enhance your employability through a recognised competence in a foreign language, distinguishing you from other graduates and significantly improving your career prospects
- Graduates employed by leading brands in graduate roles such as HR Assistant at PwC, HR Consultant at Jaguar Land Rover, HR Manager at Royal Mail, Senior HR Analyst at Ford
At DMU, we are committed to helping our graduates enhance their careers and personal development through further study.
Postgraduate Alumni Scholarship
Find out more about our Postgraduate Alumni Scholarship, offering up to 30% off tuition fees for DMU alumni.
DMU Global High Flyers Award
The DMU Global High Flyers Award offers students a discount of up to £1,000 towards a DMU Global opportunity (subject to terms and conditions).
DMU Sports Scholarship
Find out more about the DMU Sports Scholarships worth up to £6,000.
Find out about available scholarships and country specific fee discounts for international students.
More courses like this:
Human Resource Management BA (Hons)
Business Management and Human Resource Management BA (Hons)