Watch: Subject Group Leader Dan Morley discusses the unique qualities of studying Graphic Design (Illustration) at DMU.
The Graphic Design (Illustration) degree is taught in alliance with the Graphic Design degree, with module specific teaching to develop a more personal visual language.
Graphic designers and illustrators need to be curious innovators and follow a reflective and explorative design process. They need to understand and engage audience. The Graphic Design (Illustration) course will build both your Graphic Design industry skills and develop your own personal visual style. You will be taught how to interpret briefs, identify and solve problems to create innovative design illustration solutions.
On the Graphic Design (Illustration) course you will have the opportunity to explore and experiment with an extensive range of media and craft skills, taught by expert practitioners. Working on projects that will allow your creativity and talent to thrive over all print, digital and analogue media, platforms.
Though our close relationships with industry you will be set live projects giving enabling you to have work selected and published.
The course will prepare you in all aspects of graphic design and illustration to prosper in the exciting, everchanging creative industry. You will work towards building a professional creative portfolio that will showcase your unique visual voice.
- Access one-to-one support from the Leicester Media School Drawing Centre to perfect your drawing skills and meet like-minded artists.
- Benefit from our Gurus and Grasshoppers peer support mentoring scheme – final-year students mentor new students on formal assignments and additional areas, as needed.
- Expand your portfolio with House – DMU’s Design Society – which gives you the chance to develop your practical and professional skills through live project briefs set by real clients from the design industry.
- Enter high-profile competitions such as D&AD, RSA, Macmillan Children’s Books, Batsford, Penguin, Folio Society and the Young Creative Network.
- Explore the world with DMU Global, our international experience programme. Graphic Design students have previously researched the Bauhaus art movement in Berlin and visited museums and galleries in Amsterdam.
- Exhibit your work at the week-long DMU Degree Show, one of Leicester’s biggest art and design shows, where final-year students have the chance to meet talent scouts and win industry prizes.
"This course has broadened my skill set incredibly, opened up my mind to new ways of thinking using different methods, and given me the chance to experiment with ways of working that I wouldn’t have otherwise."
-Lucy Depardieu, Graphic Design (Illustration) graduate
Graduate success and news
Danielle sees her designs on Paperchase shelves after winning national competition
Amy's career kick-started thanks to DMU Graduate Champions
Gold, silver and bronze - DMU students clean up at packaging awards!
More courses like this:
Graphic Design and e-Media Foundation Degree (FdA)
Graphic Design BA (Hons)