Principles and Practice of Mentorship
Who is the module for?
The module is designed for registered health care professionals who wish to take on the role and responsibilities of:
- Sign off mentor
- Assessor of practical competence
in all types of health and social care settings. It is suitable for nurses, midwives and allied health professionals.
This module is assessed via a:
- 2500 word essay
- A Practice Portfolio
If you would prefer to undertake the mentorship module assessed via Practice Portfolio ONLY please follow this link
The module is designed to develop your knowledge, skills and competence in supporting the learning and assessment of healthcare students in practice based settings. You will be provided with the opportunity to explore your work environment from the perspective of a learning environment and to develop your own skills as a mentor and assessor. This will involve learning about effective mentoring and assessment strategies and how to implement these in your field of practice. You will have the opportunity to share learning with other health related disciplines in an interactive environment which will help you to gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to facilitate the development of the next generation of healthcare professionals.
The module will cover the following subject areas:
- Building effective relationships with healthcare students;
- Facilitating learning for a range of students, within practice areas;
- Making judgments about progress and assessing students’ competence;
- Evaluating the standard of learning which is taking place;
- Creating a quality practical learning environment;
- Enabling students to apply theories in specific practical situations and environments
- Promoting evidence based practice
- Leadership skills for education and assessment of competence in practice environments.
- Effective registration with the NMC / HPC or other relevant professional body. ESSENTIAL
- Undertaken successful level 4/5 academic study. ESSENTIAL
- Currently be employed in practice and have the support of their manager in undertaking the module. ESSENTIAL
How to apply
Online Application Forms and Guidance Information
Module Category: PRED
Module Code: 3000
Module Credits: 15
Module Level: 6
Return to study
This is a degree-level module in which you will be expected to produce assessed work at degree-level standard.
If it is sometime since you undertook other kinds of academically assessed work, you will be well advised to consider undertaking some self-directed academic updating around returning to study.
More information can be found here