Mentorship preparation for practice
Who is the module for?
This none credit bearing module is designed for registered health care professionals who wish to take on the role and responsibilities of mentor, sign off mentor, assessor of competence in all types of health and social care settings. It is suitable for allied health professionals. This module will also prepare nursing associates to become practice supervisors under the new NMC (2018) Standards for Student Supervision and Assessment.
Assessment of the module is wholly via a Portfolio of Practice; completion of an academic assignment is not required.
This module is assessed via a Practice Portfolio ONLY and you will not be awarded any degree level credits upon completion.
If you wish to undertake this module to obtain degree level credits please click here.
The module is designed to develop your knowledge, skills and competence in supporting and reviewing the progress of healthcare students in practice based settings. You will be provided with the opportunity to explore your work environment from the perspective of a learning environment and to develop your own skills as a mentor/practice supervisor. This will involve learning about effective strategies and how to implement these in your field of practice. You will have the opportunity to share learning with other health related disciplines in an interactive environment which will help you to gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to facilitate the development of the next generation of healthcare professionals.
The module will cover the following subject areas:
- Building effective relationships with healthcare students;
- Facilitating learning for a range of students, within practice areas;
- Making judgments about progress and reviewing students’ competence;
- Evaluating the standard of learning which is taking place;
- Creating a quality practical learning environment;
- Enabling students to apply theories in specific practical situations and environments
- Promoting evidence based practice
- Leadership skills for education and assessment of competence in practice environments.
- Effective registration with the NMC/HCPC or other relevant professional body.i.e. ODP, Physiotherapist ESSENTIAL
- 12 Months post registration experience, including experience of supervising students in practice environments
- Undertaken successful level 4/5 academic study. 120 Credits ESSENTIAL
- Currently be employed in practice and have the support of their manager in undertaking the module. ESSENTIAL
- Have a named practice supervisor throughout the duration of the module. ESSENTIAL
Preparation for Learning
- In this module you will be expected to produce a portfolio of practice.
- The Module Leader will advise and support the students.
How to apply
Online Application Forms and Guidance Information
Module Category: PRED
Module Code: 3005
Module Credits: 0
Module Level: 6
Tuesday 2 June
Tuesday 9 June
Tuesday 16 June
Assessment due August 2020