Applied Prescribing in the Clinical Context
This module prepares nurses, midwives and allied health professionals to critically evaluate the consultation skills and decision making inherent within the role of the Non Medical Prescriber.
It can be undertaken as part of the NMC V300 OR HCPC IP/SP which allows nurses, midwives, physiotherapists and podiatrists to prescribe independently or in a supplementary capacity from the British National Formulary as both independent and supplementary prescribers (NMC recorded qualification V300 or HCPC IP/SP).
Alternatively it can be undertaken by radiographers as part of the Supplementary Prescribing qualification for allied health professionals (HCPC). Lectures cover key areas identified in the programme content for Nurse and Midwifery Prescribing (2006) and HCPC 2013 Standards for Prescribing.
This module can be undertaken as a stand-alone module for institutional credits or CPD purposes.
For those undertaking the whole programme in Non Medical Prescribing only
- Autumn cohort - 1 October 2015
- Spring cohort - 26 January 2016
- Effective registration with appropriate professional statutory regulatory body more than 3 years
- Working in the field to be prescribed in for more than one year
- Evidence of successful level 6 study in the last 3 years
- Enhanced DBS within 2 years of programme commencement date or for AHPs 3 months prior to programme commencement date.
- Successful completion of a module that includes diagnostic, examination and consultation skills or equivalent e.g. NMAH 3314 or SPEC 5604
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate appropriate numeracy skills through a numeracy assessment undertaken by practice lead or at interview (to be further developed within the context of prescribing and assessed on the course)
- All applicants must attend for an interview
Please contact the programme leader to arrange this when you begin to apply.
Entry criteria for those undertaking as a standalone module:
- 15 credits at level 6 studied within the last 3 years
- First degree 2:2 or above
- Effective professional registration
- No interview required
Module Category: PRES
Module Code: 3002
Module Credits: 15
Module Level: 6
This module runs twice per academic year.
- Semester 2: 11.00 - 13.00 Thursdays from 4 February 2016 (Autumn cohort)
- Semester X:11.00 - 13.00 Tuesdays from 1 June 2016 (Spring cohort)
Return to study
Following successful interview as part of the Non-Medical Prescribing application process, a work book will be sent to prepare the applicant for their proposed study. All applicants must have been successful in level 6 study within the last 3 years to prepare them for this module.
LBR Contract or independent sector