Module code: LLMP 5296
This module comprises of a consideration of the legal and practical considerations in advising:-
- Players in professional team sports; and
- Athletes in "Olympic" sports.
Section 1. The Professional Player
- Regulation of Players - registration and transfer systems in professional football.
- The player contract - commentary and critical evaluation of the FA Premier League Football Contract.
- Players image rights - law and practice.
- Taxation issues
- The regulation of players - a comparative consideration of the regulatory regimes of other leading professional sports.
- Regulation of agents - with particular reference to the regulatory regimes of FIFA and the Football Association.
Section 2. The Athlete in Olympic Sports
- Team selection issues including EU Law considerations.
- Team member's agreements and Codes of Conduct.
Section 3. Sports Celebrities and Personal Lives
- Break Up of Personal Relationships - particular considerations for the sporting celebrity
- Protection for Personal Lives - A right of privacy?
Section 4. Players and the EC Treaty
- Applicability of the EU Freedom of Movement Regime
- Applicability of the EU Competition Law Regime
A variety of self assessment questions will be found in the module documentation.
Contact hours per student per year
- Seminars: 2 hours (optional)