Module code: LLMP 5266
Topic 1 - The passing of property and risk; title disputes
- Subject introduction and background.
- SS 16-19 Sale of Goods Act and the rules governing the passage of property for business sales.
- Section 20A - the new rule relating to the passage of property in unascertained goods.
- Ascertainment and unconditional appropriation.
- The passing of risk.
- Perishing of goods.
- Title disputes between buyer and seller.
- Title disputes involving third parties.
Topic 2 - Obligations of the seller
- Implied terms as to the right to sell, description, quality and fitness in commercial contracts (ss 12-15 Sale of Goods Act)
Topic 3 - Remedies for breach of contract
- The seller's remedies in rem - lien, stoppage in transit, resale, and reservation of title clauses
- The buyer's remedies in rem - rejection
- The seller's personal remedies - action for the price and damages for non-acceptance
- The buyer's personal remedies - damages for non-delivery and damages for breach of condition/warranty
Contact hours per student per year
- Tutorials: 3 hours (delivered on study days)