Research and Innovation at DMU
Our vision is to be a university “that places research excellence and innovation at the heart of our mission”. Staff and doctoral researchers are encouraged to undertake ambitious and rigorous research that challenges convention and redefines paradigms.
To this end, we are currently implementing the Research and Innovation Strategy for the period of 2013-17, in combination with the new 2015-2020 Strategic Framework for DMU. In brief:
- We have embarked on a programme to build research capacity by investing resources in areas of current strength, and supporting the emergence of new inter-disciplinary areas of research between now and 2020
- Individual Research Plans (IRPs) form an integral part of the mechanism for enhancing research at DMU. They enable us to recognise and support staff undertaking high-quality research or demonstrating the potential to do so. In addition, we are making use of Vitae’s researcher development framework (RDF) Planner to promote career development opportunities for our researchers, and other capacity-building activities
- Where beneficial, we are continuing to establish clear, outcome-focused research partnerships with other higher education institutions in Leicestershire, the Midlands, and nationally
- We plan to continue to increase the number and variety of research links at international level, to ensure that our researchers have the opportunity to work with the best academics and industry-based researchers in their respective fields.
We propose to keep developing our reputation for excellence in end-user engagement and business-focused research, with a range of strategic partners at international, national and regional level.
- We are evaluating our intellectual property portfolio, and taking forward for further development a number of projects that have the potential to attract commercial investment, or that can be nurtured by other means
- Impact and visibility will be two of the key measures applied for making future investments in research, and we will emphasise the relevance of our research through its application in the real world. In doing so, we will deliver greater value from enterprise and innovation, as as we work in partnership with business and industry to translate our best ideas into practical benefits for the economy and wider society.
- Support exciting, innovative and rigorous research
- Nurture, recognise and support researchers and research leaders
- Promote knowledge exchange activities of benefit to the economy and society
- Increase the impact and visibility of our research; locally, regionally, nationally and globally
- Deliver enhanced value from commercialisation.
To find out more about research and innovation at DMU, please take a look at the individual Faculty web pages or email: email@example.com.