DMU's current research activity supports the generation of external funding income, which is paramount to the development of the university’s research portfolio for the future.
The Research Services Directorate supports such activities and is split into two areas: the first comprises funding and bid writing specialists in the domains of UK research councils and charities, European and International arenas, and the provision of research grants, financial management and post award project management support. The second supports various research policy initiatives, and oversees the university’s preparations for the Research Excellence Framework.
UK Research Councils and Charities, European and International Funding
The team offers the following services to faculties and institutes:
- Horizon scanning for possible funding streams and the supply of funding information
- Working with academics to plan a funding strategy at both the individual and group level
- Development of research funding applications, supporting drafting of bids and concept development
- Coordinating institutional quality assurance processes, arranging internal peer review of proposals, and monitoring proposal compliance with internal and external procedures
- Support and coordination of large complex bids across multiple faculties to funders
- Promoting researcher interactions through the grand challenge networks and other initiatives
- Relationship building with research funding organisations (e.g. ESRC, EPSRC, AHRC, Innovate UK, etc.), providing an institutional contact point for liaison with funders
- The maintenance of links with the UK Research Councils and Business Innovation & Skills (BIS)
- Support for Innovate UK, collaborative programmes
- Support for National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) funding opportunities in collaboration with the Research Design Service
- Support for academics in identifying European funding opportunities; advising on reporting and audit requirements; and liaising with project partners, EU officials and other international agencies.
- Support for developing strategic international research links and collaborations
- Research grants information management support
- Central reporting on research funding and other research grants data.
There is no standard format for the help on offer; as a professional service the team tries to provide both help and support that is tailored to the needs of the individual academic and the specific project being developed.
Post Award Support
Supporting projects in their management and delivery
- Liaising with partners and industry members to guide funder compliance and best project management practices
- Assist in monitoring compliance with research agreements and reporting requirements
- Advice on mutli and international partner consortium management
- Support the timely collection and preservation of key information on research outcomes
- Risk mitigation in high value, strategic projects
- Post project/close down and audit advice
- Signpost IP-able activity for Intellectual Property office and BDM support