As soon as you arrive in the UK and find temporary accommodation it is very important to register with a doctor in the area where you live. Your health service provider will depend on which area of the UK you live:

  • The NHS (National Health Service) covers England.
  • NHS24 covers Scotland.
  • Health in Wales (NHS Wales) covers Wales.

Do not wait until you are ill. In the UK Doctors are often referred to as ‘GPs’ which stands for ‘General Practitioner’ so expect to hear both terms used.

When you have registered you will receive a personal NHS number on a card. You need to keep this number safe. You will need it when you visit the doctor or dentist.

If you live in Scotland you may find the Health Rights Information Scotland website useful. There’s information for people from overseas, general information about health services in Scotland and a guide to using NHS services in Scotland. Many of the resources on the site are offered in alternative formats and translations. The How to Use the Health Service in Scotland website hosts videos in different languages which provides a clear and simple guide to the NHS in Scotland.

Please click on healthcare for more information on visiting the doctor.

Events at DMU

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

News target area image

DMU is a dynamic university, read about what we have been up to in our latest news section.

Mission and vision target area image
Mission and vision

Read about our mission and vision and how these create a supportive and exciting learning environment.