Police registration

What is a Police Registration Certificate?

A Police Registration Certificate (PRC) is a document that proves you’ve complied with the requirement of your visa by registering with the Overseas Visitors Registration Office (OVRO).

Certain international students will be required to register with OVRO as part of their visa conditions once they have arrived in the UK.

If you applied for your Student visa outside of the UK, this condition will be confirmed on your entry clearance visa which will state something similar to below:

  • ‘Pol Reg’ or
  • ‘Police Registration’ or
  • ‘Register with Police in seven days of UK entry’

If you applied for/extended your Student visa in the UK, this condition will be confirmed on your UKVI decision letter/email.

When you need to register

You must register with the appropriate police force within 7 days of arriving in the UK if you applied for your visa from outside the UK or within 7 days of receiving your biometric residence permit if you applied for your visa within the UK.

Failure to do so can constitute a breach of your visa conditions and could lead to your visa being curtailed.

Therefore, fulfilling this requirement must take precedence over any other non-immigration requirements including attending lectures.

As appointments are booked online, you will have been deemed to have met the 7 day condition so as long as you have booked the appointment within 7 days of your arrival in the UK and then attend the subsequent appointment you have booked.

Change of address/visa/passport details

If you move address, get a new visa/BRP, or a new passport, you are also required to book an appointment with OVRO online to update your PRC with the new details within 7 days.

  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Belarus
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • China*
  • Columbia
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Georgia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Israel
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Kuwait
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Palestine
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan 
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • UAE
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan
  • Yemen

*Note: A person who holds a passport issued by the Special Administrative Region of either Hong Kong or Macao is classed as a Chinese national and needs to register.

How to register with OVRO

You will firstly need to create an account.

After you have done this, you will then need to select a date and time from the appointment list. You would enter your personal details such as your full name as confirmed on your passport/BRP card/visa and your email address. Finally, you would be required to pay an online £34.00 fee to confirm your appointment.

Once this has been submitted, you should receive a confirmation email of your appointment date and time. It does not matter if the appointment is arranged for more than 7 days after you arrive in the UK so long as your appointment has been booked within the 7 day timeframe. You can prove this by showing the date you received the confirmation email for your appointment booking from OVRO.

 If you have an e-visa/digital status Student visa

When completing the online registration page, under the ‘Visa Details’ section, you will need to enter the number of zeros as shown;

  • nine zeros in the Entry Clearance Vignette number data field
  • date e/Visa/Digital Status was issued
  • date e/Visa/Digital Status valid until
  • six zeros in the VAF number data field

Where you will need to go

Leicestershire Police
Overseas Visitors Registration Office
Mansfield House
74 Belgrave Gate

 OVRO is open Monday to Friday, between 8.30am and 3.30pm.

What you will need at your appointment

  • Current Passport (and previous if it contains your visa vignette)
  • Biometric Residence Permit (also known as your BRP card)
  • UKVI decision letter/email (If BRP applied in the UK)
  • Student status letter (you can obtain this from your ‘mydmu’)
  • Proof of address

If you already have a Police Registration Certificate

  • Your current PRC (if you need to update your details)
  • Evidence of your new documentation to update on your PRC, such as your new passport, BRP, or proof of address for your new address for example
  • If you need a replacement certificate, you will need to bring £34.00 in cash