Skip to content

Tier 4 visas

The Tier 4 (General) student visa is suitable for international students studying a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate taught programme lasting longer than six months.

Find out more about Tier 4 visas and who can apply.

Students applying for a visa in the UK

If you are already in the UK and need to extend your existing student visa you can visit the De Montfort Students’ Union Welfare and Education Centre on the ground floor of the Campus Centre for immigration advice, or contact them via email. They can check your application form and documents, post them to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and deal with any queries from UKVI for you.

Applying for a Tier 4 visa:

UKVI use a points-based system for visa applications and you will need 40 points to qualify for a Tier 4 visa. Points are awarded as follows:

30 points for having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement

Once you have an unconditional offer from DMU and you have paid your tuition fee deposit, we will send your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies statement (CAS).

Your CAS will include the following details:

  • Your unique CAS reference number
  • Your name, date of birth and passport number
  • Your offer – the title and length of the course and the university’s details
  • Why we have accepted you – the certificates you have provided, your English language ability and if you have studied in the UK before
  • The course tuition fees and how much you have paid already
  • Our Tier 4 sponsor license number

You will need to apply for your visa using the same information and documents you used for your DMU application.

UKVI may not award the points if:

  • The information on your CAS does not match the information in your visa application
  • You are using a CAS to apply for a visa more than three months before the start of your course
  • You have used the same CAS before. Each CAS has a unique reference number and can only be used once; if you are making a new Tier 4 visa application, you will need a new CAS statement from your university

10 points for having enough money to support yourself and pay for your course

Course fees

You must show you have enough money to pay the fees for the first year of your course (or the whole course, if less than a year). Your CAS will show any money you have already paid to DMU. This can be taken off the total amount you need to show in your bank account.

Living costs

As DMU is located outside of London you will need to show £1,015 per month to cover your living costs.

You must show you have enough money to cover your living costs for nine months (or the length of your course, if it is less than nine months). 

Paying for UK healthcare as part of your student visa application

Students that want to apply for a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK will need to pay a fee to use the National Health Service (NHS) – this is called a ‘migrant health surcharge’. Important information about the migrant health surcharge:

  • paying the surcharge gives you access a wide range of healthcare services, including doctors’ consultations 
  • as a student visa applicant you will need to pay £300 per year in the UK on a tier 4 visa
  • you must make the payment before you submit or send your visa or immigration application
  • you need to make your payment online
  • you cannot obtain a tier 4 visa without making this payment.

How to show you have the required money

UKVI will accept any of the following (or a combination) as proof of the required amount of money:

  • Cash funds held  in a bank account (including advance notice savings and current accounts) for a consecutive 28-day period
  • A letter from a regulated financial institution confirming a loan
  • An official financial or government sponsorship

You can use money held in an account owned by your parent(s) or legal guardian(s), providing you show evidence that you are related to them and you have their permission to use this money.

UKVI may not award the points if: 

  • The money is from a credit card or overdraft
  • The money is held with a financial institution that cannot be verified by the UK Home Office. UKVI has a list of these financial institutions
  • The money has not been in the account for a full 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application
  • The amount of money shown is not enough when converted to pounds sterling. UKVI will use the exchange rate on the OANDA website on the date of the closing balance shown on the document provided
  • The money is in an account that is not in your name or the name of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) whose permission you have. (For example, money held in a business account.)

See our Frequently asked questions page for more information.

Your Student Visa guide

Studying abroad is a life-changing opportunity and we want to make sure our international students can make the most of their time at DMU without having to worry about visa or immigration issues.

You can find information and advice about coming to the UK to study at DMU in our visa guides