We believe that a diverse range of researchers produces the best research. Societal impact will be central to our research agenda and we will strive to ensure that our research addresses key challenges.
Knowledge creationResearch excellence
- We will strive to ensure that the majority of our academic staff are research-active and that the quality of the research is recognised internationally.
- Our research environment will be developed to break down boundaries, enabling new and exciting interdisciplinary collaborations.
Researcher development and research leadership
- A clear expectation of research and funding goals will be linked to incentives, such as sabbaticals, protected research time and promotion opportunities.
- We will strategically invest in our future research leaders through a tailored developmental programme empowering a pipeline of diverse researchers at all stages of the academic life cycle from doctoral student to professor.
- Each of our themes will bring together interdisciplinary teams to research, innovate, and promote the impact of the knowledge created. Through these themes, our teams will unite to find new ways of tackling research questions that will bring together fundamental, practice-based and applied research to deliver significant impact.
Knowledge exchange and commercialisation
- Our research and innovation activities will ensure that there is a strong focus on regional issues. We will use this knowledge to support the East Midlands in its ambition to close the productivity gap.
- We will ensure that our research feeds into our high-quality teaching to help provide students with intellectual and practical skills.
- We will continue to support the creation of spin-out companies for our students, graduates and staff to ensure that our best innovations are translated into practical benefits for society.