DMU logo

Support for international students

DMU-international welcome-MAIN

What support is available to international students?

DMU’s friendly International Student Support team are on hand to offer you advice and support throughout your time at university.

They can be reached by emailing and online information can be found here. 

We operate a coach pick-up service from London Heathrow airport on key arrival dates. You can read more about the coach service here.

What is a Biometric Residence Permit and how do I collect one?

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a secure identity card which contains personal details and biometric information for those who have permission (a visa) to come to the UK for more than 6 months. When your Tier 4 visa application is approved you will first be given a sticker in your passport that will allow you to travel to the UK. This will only be valid for 30 days. Once you arrive in the UK you will need to collect your (BRP) card that will be valid for the full length of your stay in the UK. You must collect this within 10 days of arriving in the UK. The university will not normally allow you to register until you have collected your BRP.

If you have chosen to collect from the University, you can do so from the Student Visa Queries desk on the ground floor of Gateway House. You can collect between the hours of 10am-noon and 2-4pm Monday to Friday or during International Registration Weekend (see below).

When is International Registration Weekend?

The registration weekend for international students is Saturday-Sunday, 23-24 September 2017. We look forward to welcoming you to DMU. Before you can register on your course as a new international student at DMU, you will need to have your visa copied for university records. You will need to bring your passport and visa document to the Student Visa Queries desk in Gateway House so that the Immigration Compliance team can take a copy (if you are an EU or EEA national, you just need to bring your passport).

Your documents will be copied and uploaded to your records. You will then be given a certificate that confirms you have had your documents checked and you can then proceed to the next stage of your registration. You should keep this certificate safe as you will need to present it at any faculty registration events. We will have staff on hand to help and direct you.

Can I bring copies of my visa and passport instead of the originals?

We cannot accept copies of documents. You must bring the original document to get your certificate.

My documents are with the Home Office as I’m applying for a new visa – can I still register?

Students with ongoing visa applications can usually register while their visa application is being considered – to do this you must bring evidence that your visa application is being considered and that you made your application for a new visa before your previous visa expired. The evidence you should bring is the Home Office confirmation of your visa application and a copy of your old visa.

I haven’t got confirmation of my visa application – can I still register?

The university will need to check your immigration status with the Home Office in order to make this decision. You will be asked to provide your written consent to do this if it is necessary.

My current visa is about to expire. Can I register using that?

We would usually expect a student to have their visa to study the course, or have made their new visa application, before starting their new course. If you don’t but your expiring visa was issued to study another course at De Montfort University, we may consider whether you can register. Visas issued to study at other institutions will not be acceptable under any circumstances.

I have already collected my BRP from you – do I still need to come?

No, we will have copied your BRP before we gave it to you.

My BRP hasn’t arrived yet, what do I do?

Come to the Student Gateway and follow the signs for ‘BRP Distribution and Visa Checking’ – we will then be able to investigate and advise further. Bring your passport and your BRP collection letter.

What ways are there to help me make new friends?

Getting involved with International Welcome Week, Welcome Weekend and Freshers’ Week before term starts are great ways to meet new people and make friends.

Our International Student Support team also offer an international student buddy scheme, i-Buddies, which match international students with existing DMU students. New students can apply from September onwards.

You can find out more here or by emailing

For other frequently asked questions about starting at DMU, click here

Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.