The Student Health Centre at De Montfort Surgery is located close to the campus and provides healthcare for students at DMU and their families. The centre also runs a range of specialist clinics.

It is very important that you register with the Health Centre as soon as you have enrolled on your course. It is FREE to register. 

Paying for UK healthcare as part of your student visa application

Students that want to apply for a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK will need to pay a fee to use the National Health Service (NHS) – this is called a ‘migrant health surcharge’. 

The NHS is the UK's state health service, which provides treatment through a wide range of healthcare services, including doctors’ consultations; and paying the surcharge gives you access to these services – you cannot obtain a tier 4 visa without making this payment.

You’ll still need to pay for certain types of services, such as prescriptions, dental treatment and eye tests when you use them.

How much you must pay

As a student visa applicant you will need to pay £150 per year in the UK on a tier 4 visa. If your application includes part of a year that is less than 6 months, then you will pay £75. If the part of the year is more than 6 months you will pay the full yearly fee. For example:

How much you must pay
Length of time in the UK as a student Fee 
 1 year and 5 months  £225
 1 year and 7 months  £300


If you have any family members that are applying to come with you as dependants, they will normally be required to pay the same fee as you. You can calculate how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

Students applying inside the UK for a student visa will need to pay if they are applying for any length of time. Those applying from outside the UK will need to pay to come to the UK for more than 6 months Students applying for student visitor visas do not need to pay the fee.

When and how to pay

You must make the payment before you submit or send your visa or immigration application (or book an appointment at a premium service centre). When you pay your fee you will be given a reference number that you will need to put on your visa application form to show the person making the decision on your visa application that you have paid the fee.

If you do not pay the fee or do not include your reference number your visa application may be refused. You need to make your payment online (the system will guide you through the process).



Your fee will be refunded if you make an application for a student visa that is refused and you are not eligible to challenge the decision through appeal or administrative review, or you withdraw your application. Please see the UK Visas and Immigration website for more information on refunds.


Useful links

The UK Visas and Immigration web page on the healthcare surcharge 

The UK Council for International Student Affairs 

Comprehensive information is available on the NHS website.

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals

All non-UK European Economic Area (EEA) nationals and their family should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK. This card entitles the holder and their family to full NHS treatment.

For more information see the NHS EHIC webpage or contact your government's health department.

Do I need medical insurance?

If you are not entitled to free NHS treatment, you should ensure that you have adequate medical insurance to cover medical costs if you fall ill. These might include:

  • Lost fees if you are unable to complete your course,
  • Cost of returning home if a relative is ill,
  • Cost of a relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill,
  • Cost of returning to your home country for treatment,
  • In the worst possible scenario, the cost of returning a body home.

Even if you are entitled to free NHS treatment while in the UK, you may want to consider taking out insurance that covers the above additional costs. In some circumstances you might find that you need to access private healthcare, which can be expensive.

If you already have medical insurance in your home country, check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK. You should also look at options available from UK insurers.

For example, Endsleigh Insurance, in association with UKCISA, provides a health insurance policy for international students and their dependents in the UK. This offers a choice of two levels of cover, either relying on NHS treatment or (for an extra charge) giving access to private treatment. Details of the policy can be found on the Endsleigh website. Other health insurance policies can be found by searching online.

Further advice and information

If you need further advice, please contact the International Student Support team in the Student Gateway

Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.