Do I need to register with the police?

Students from certain countries will usually need to register with the police if they hold a visa for more than six months.

You should check the student visa sticker in your passport to see whether or not you are required to register. If you need to register, your student visa sticker will say “…register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK”. If you completed a paper visa application form (for example if your BRP was lost or stolen and you applied for replacement), then the requirement to register will be included in your letter from the Home Office, and not on your visa.

The spouse or child (aged 16 or over) of a student who is admitted to the UK on a student visa for more than six months will also need to register with the police. If you are admitted to the UK on a visa for less than six months and later extend your current student visa in the UK for more than six months, you will also need to register with the police.

See list of those countries whose students usually need to register.

A police registration certificate is valid for the duration of your stay in the UK and should be renewed every time you extend your visa. You must also renew your police registration certificate every time you change address, academic course, place of study, marital status or if you renew your passport.

When you register for the first time you will need to pay £34 per person. There is also a £34 charge for renewing your police registration certificate if the original is lost or full.

If you are required to register your visa, it's important to do so; failure to do this may be a criminal offence.

Where can I register my visa?

If you are arriving in June, July or August 2018 for an English Language Preparation Programme, then the Centre for English Language Learning (CELL) will make an appointment for you to register your visa at DMU. If you attend one of these appointments, you will not need to visit the police station to register.

If you are not a CELL student and you need to register your visa or notify a change of circumstances, you will need to visit the Nationality office, at Mansfield House police station, on Belgrave Gate.

You can find full details of how and when to visit the police Nationality office here

Please note that you do not need to make an appointment to register. Please check the opening times on the police website here.

The police also provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to take with me when I register?

If you are registering for the first time, you will need to take with you -

  • Two recent, identical passport photographs 
  • A fee of £34 which should be in cash (please bring the exact amount of money if you can) 
  • Your passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • your CAS letter 
  • Proof of your address in Leicester – either your contract/tenancy agreement, a bank statement or some other letter that shows your name and current address in Leicester

You can also save time at the police station by completing and printing your registration form in advance. The form is available online here.

Once you have registered your visa, you will usually receive your registration certificate straight away.

Do I need to tell the police if my details change?

You need to inform the Nationality team at the police station, within 7 days, if any these details change -

  • You change your address
  • You change your course of study
  • You get a new visa or a new passport
  • You start a job
  • You get married.

If any of these details change, you'll need to take your existing registration certificate to the police station, as well as proof of the change (such as a document with your new address, for example).

You can also save time at the police station by completing and printing your change of circumstances form in advance. The form is available online here.

If you have any questions about police registration, please contact us at


You can save time at the police station by completing the form in advance, printing it out and taking it with you to the station.

You can print off both forms here.

If you are registering for the for the first time - download the form here

If you have already registered but need to notify a change of circumstances - download the form here.

Please remember that you will also need to take all the relevant documents with you when you visit the police station.


Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.