Do I need to register with the police?

Students from certain countries will usually need to register with the police if they hold a visa for more than six months.

You should check the 30-day vignette (visa sticker) in your passport to see whether or not you are required to register. If you need to register, your student visa sticker will usually say “police registration”. If you completed a paper visa application form (for example if your BRP was lost or stolen and you applied for replacement), then the requirement to register will be included in your letter from the Home Office, and not on your visa.

The spouse or child (aged 16 or over) of a student who is admitted to the UK on a student visa for more than six months will also need to register with the police. If you are admitted to the UK on a visa for less than six months and later extend your current student visa in the UK for more than six months, you will also need to register with the police.

See list of those countries whose students usually need to register.

A police registration certificate is valid for the duration of your stay in the UK and should be renewed every time you extend your visa. You must also renew your police registration certificate every time you change address, academic course, place of study, marital status or if you renew your passport.

When you register for the first time you will need to pay £34 per person. There is also a £34 charge for renewing your police registration certificate if the original is lost or full.

If you are required to register your visa, it is important to do so. If you fail to comply with a condition to register with the police, or to notify them of changes, the Home Office can refuse future immigration applications or remove you from the UK. Additionally, you might be barred from returning to the UK for a certain period.

Where can I register my visa?

If you need to register your visa or notify a change of circumstances, you will need to visit the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO), at Mansfield House police station, on Belgrave Gate in Leicester.

You can find full details of how, when and where to visit the Overseas Visitors Records Office here

When you go to the police station, please go to the main reception desk, where they will probably need to make an appointment for you. Please note that you will probably need to return on a different day for the appointment.  

The police also provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Please note that OVRO are not able to register visas at DMU. Instead, you will need to arrange to visit the police station.

What do I need to take with me when I register?

If you are registering for the first time, you will need to take with you -

  • Two recent, identical passport photographs 
  • A fee of £34 which should be in cash (please bring the exact amount of money if you can) 
  • Your passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • your CAS letter 
  • Proof of your address in Leicester – either your contract/tenancy agreement, a bank statement or some other letter that shows your name and current address in Leicester

You can also save time at the police station by completing and printing your registration form in advance. The form is available online here.

Once you have registered your visa, you will usually receive your registration certificate straight away.

If you have applied for a visa in the UK

Updated 19 December 2018

If you have applied for a new Student Visa whilst you've been in the UK, the Home Office should send you an email to confirm that your visa application has been successful. You will need to show this email to the police OVRO team when you register your new visa.

There have recently been some problems with students not receiving these emails; the Home Office know that there is a problem and are trying to find a solution. In the meantime, if you have applied for your visa whilst in the UK and you have not received a Home Office email, we first suggest checking your spam/junk folder. If you still cannot find the Home Office email, please email DSU Advice team (in the Students' Union) at, who are keeping details of those students who are affected by this problem and should be able to update you once a solution is found.     

Do I need to tell the police if my details change?

You need to inform OVRO, within 7 days, if any these details change -

  • You change your address
  • You change your course of study
  • You get a new visa or a new passport
  • You get married.

If any of these details change, you'll need to take your existing registration certificate to the police station, as well as proof of the change (such as a document with your new address, for example).

You can also save time at the police station by completing and printing your change of circumstances form in advance. The form is available online here.

If you have any questions about police registration, please contact us at


You can save time at the police station by completing the form in advance, printing it out and taking it with you to the station.

You can print off both forms here.

If you are registering for the for the first time - download the form here

If you have already registered but need to notify a change of circumstances - download the form here.

Please remember that you will also need to take all the relevant documents with you when you visit the police station.


Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.