Car sharing is a fantastic, economical and sustainable alternative to traveling alone. At De Montfort University we have a number of initiatives in place to support and encourage car sharing!
Why car share?
- Save money by splitting the cost of fuel
- Enjoy priority parking in the DMU Car Share area in the Main Car Park
- Reduce your environmental impact
- Save on the cost of parking by applying for a free 3-for-Free Car Share Permit
How can I find a car share partner?
- Join the DMU Car Share Database using your DMU email address - it's FREE to join!
- Add your journey - add a regular or one-off journey you would like to find a car share partner for. You can offer to drive, request to be a passenger, or both.
- Search for a match, make contact and arrange to meet.
What happens if I can't get home?
Any member of staff who cannot get home, as a result of their car share partner having to leave campus unexpectedly, may be able to claim back the costs of a bus or taxi used to get home. Please contact Sustainability for further details or click here for a claim form.
If you plan to car share using your own vehicle, it is your responsibility to arrange insurance. If you have only 3rd party insurance on your car, you must inform your passengers that they may not be covered in the event of an accident. Passengers are also urged to check the level of cover with the driver before committing to car share.
DMU does not manage the Car Share website, it merely provides a link to it. DMU has no responsibility for the content or functioning of the website, and cannot be held liable for any claims arising from using it. All DMU members using the sites must agree to Leicestershare.com’s own terms and conditions, and must abide by their recommended security procedures. Members of the university using this service form a contract with Leicestershare.com, not with DMU.
DMU also reserve the right to withdraw or alter access to this service at any time.
We want to hear your experience of car sharing, including whether you think there are any improvements that could be made to the car share scheme.
If you have any comments, please get in touch with Sustainability.