Here at the chaplaincy we offer spiritual support and faith advice to students and staff alike. We’re here to talk with you, listen to you, pray with or for you, and provide a space for you to simply be you. We’re a meeting place, a thinking place, and above all, a safe place. We work together and with student societies to celebrate and embrace spirituality in all its diversity.
In addition to the events listed below, the Christian chaplain also offers one on one time to chat. See availability here.
Weekly chapel events
- Christian Union Society: 8.00am-8.30am
Every Tuesday morning the Christian Union meet to pray for each other, our campus and about any upcoming events that we're seeking to run. We also have a short time of reflection from a bit of the bible. This is a great time to meet new friends and share some reflections.
- Lunchtime prayers (Ecumenical): 1pm - 1.15pm
- God Before Work! Ecumenical breakfast: 9am - 10am, Campus Centre atrium. This is an open meeting to all who are interested to engage with other people of faith at the start of the day.
- Bible Study (Pentecostal): 12pm - 1pm
- Wednesday Eucharist (term-time): 1pm -1.30pm. Every Wednesday lunchtime during term-time, we hold a short service of Holy Communion (otherwise known as the Eucharist or the Mass). It's open to staff and students.
- Ecumenical DMU Prayer Walk: 2pm - 2.45pm, starts in the Breathing Space. Meet at the chaplaincy for a short relaxing walk out and about - bring your friends! All staff and students are welcome.
- Roman Catholic Mass Wednesdays (term-time): 3pm - 3.30pm. Mass is held in our chapel every Wednesday during term-time. There's no need to book in advance, just drop in and join us!
- Christian Union Society group meet up: 7pm - 8.30pm
At our Thursday main meeting (CU: Central) students come together to sing worship songs, hear a short talk which equips us to share our faith and pray for us as a society. This is a great time to relax and enjoy some refreshments.
- Lunchtime Meditation (Ecumenical): 1pm - 1.15pm. This service consists of a brief scripture reading and some time spend in silence to offer a period of reflection in the middle of a busy day.
Where is the chapel?
The chapel is located in Portland Building 00.13 (accessible via the entrance off Newarke Close).
Do I have to sign up in advance?
There's no need to let us know you're attending (though if you want to, you are welcome to email us!); just come along on the day and join in. All are welcome! For more information, or if you are interested in holding an activity in the chapel, please contact our Student Cohesion officer, Mej Rahim.
Events, churches and societies
At the chaplaincy we run many different types of events throughout the year. We run discussion groups and charity events, hold services, and work in tandem with student societies to reach out to both students and staff alike.
I want to find a church
When they come to De Montfort University, many students are too far away from their old church to be able to continue attending. Other students have no church but would like to attend one. We’re happy to help you find a church that’s a good fit for you. You can get in touch with the chaplain via email. Please contact Fr Johannes on email@example.com.
I want to find a society
There are several faith societies that meet on campus. If you want to know more about a society, want an idea of what to expect, or want to ask which societies would work for you, get in touch with DSU activities or browse their societies web page.