Home/ EU (eligible for SFE Maintenance Loan) Hardship Fund: Covid-19
This Fund has been set up in response to the financial impact of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) on Home students and EU students who are in receipt of the Student Finance England Maintenance Loan.
If you are eligible for an award it would be a contribution towards living costs (food/ toiletries/ cleaning products). It will not cover rent or tuition fees – for these areas of concern, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Most Home students and EU students who are in receipt of the Student Finance England Maintenance Loan, will receive their next maintenance loan instalment on 27th April. We would expect you to budget this money to ensure you prioritise your day-to-day living costs (food) and therefore you are no longer able to apply, or re-apply for the Covid-19 Hardship Fund from 27th April. You may want to look at the DMU Support Fund to see if you are eligible to apply.
The following students will receive their next funding instalment much later, so these students will still be able to apply to this Fund, as long as they fit the criteria below and can prove they are in financial hardship:
- Nursing/Midwifery degree students (Sep/Jan/Mar start)
- Postgraduate students receiving Postgraduate Loan (Sep/ Jan start)
- PhD students receiving Postgraduate Doctoral Loan (Oct/ Jan start)
There are certain situations where your income may have been affected by Covid-19:
- you are currently working in the UK but are having to self-isolate for 1–2 weeks
- you are currently working in the UK but are having to self-isolate for 12 weeks, due to an underlying health condition
- you are currently working in the UK but are having to care for a child/ partner/ family member due to Covid-19 guidelines
- you are currently working in the UK but your employer has recently closed due to Covid-19 guidelines
- your country of origin (EU students) has experienced a significant currency devaluation due to Covid-19.
How to apply
If you fit one of the categories above, please complete an application form. We would strongly advise you not to download the form for completing a few days/weeks later, as the form may need to be adapted at short notice.
Home/EU Hardship Fund (Covid-19) application form
Please complete the application form, then you MUST save your PDF file. Students have been submitting blank forms, which we can't use. You will also need to provide the evidence stated in the application form electronically, saved as attachments to your email. 'Adobe Scan' is a free app that scans documents into PDF format.
Students with children under 18 years old who live with them: please also supply evidence of each child, ideally a copy of their birth certificate(s). If you can't locate the certificate(s), supply an alternative and we will see if it is an acceptable form of evidence.
We will only accept applications electronically for the foreseeable future. In the subject of your email please write "Home/EU Hardship Fund". Please email your completed application form and all the evidence to email@example.com
If you are not eligible
If your circumstances don’t fit any of the list above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and outline what your current situation is and how you have been financially impacted by the recent Covid-19 outbreak.