Skip to content

Working in the UK after your studies

You may be looking to work in the UK after you've completed your studies. This page summarises some of the possible routes to switching from a Tier 4 visa to a work visa. More comprehensive information is available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and from the UK government.

Tier 2 (Sponsored skilled work)

Graduates may be able to apply to stay to work in the UK by making an application under the Tier 2 (General) route. You will need to have a job offer at graduate level and be earning a specified minimum wage. Your potential employer will also need to be a Tier 2 sponsor licensed by the UK Border Agency. If you have a prospective employer, you could ask them about applying for Tier 2.

Check here for more information about Tier 2.

Start-up scheme

The Start-up scheme is aimed at people, including those with Tier 4 leave, who wish to establish a business in the UK, and who have a business plan endorsed by a Home Office-approved endorsing body. It replaced the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur scheme. 

If you are currently a DMU student, the DMUWorks Enterprise team can provide advice and guidance. You can also find more information on the UKCISA website

Graduate Route ('Post Study Work')

The UK government announced the Graduate route in autumn 2019. It appears likely that this immigration route will offer 2 years of leave following Tier 4 study, allowing the graduate to work. It is currently envisaged that the scheme will be available for students graduating in summer 2021 onwards. Please note that the full details of the scheme are not yet available and we advise you to check again as more further details of the Graduate route are announced.

For more information, please visit the UKCISA website.