Skip to content

Working in the UK

DMU is committed to providing students with industry-level skills that boost employability through our strong links with leading national and international employers. 170 of our courses are accredited by professional bodies such as the IET, ACCA, CIM, CPA, CIPD and RIBA. These accreditations give students exemptions from professional body exams and provide them with a competitive edge in the graduate jobs market.

Part-time work

Many international students work part-time during their studies as it helps them meet new people, improve their English, develop new skills and gain valuable work experience. For more information visit Unitemps, our in-house employment agency.

If you’re studying in the UK for more than six months, you will usually have permission to work up to 20 hours per week while studying during term-time. Please note that it will not be possible to fund your accommodation or fee payments by working - but working can offer valuable experience and the extra money can help with your living costs.

Paid work placements

A number of DMU’s undergraduate and postgraduate courses offer students the unique opportunity to do a work placement. This is particularly appealing to international students following the change in the rules concerning the post-study work visa.

Our paid work placements with course-relevant employers enable students to gain valuable industry experience which boosts their employability. While undertaking the work placement, international students will remain on a student visa and earn an average salary of £10,000-£15,000.

DMU has strong links with top national and international employers such as the BBC, BMW, Caterpillar, Deloitte, HP and the NHS. Our Work Placement Units will help you prepare for the application and interview process for work placements.

Working in the UK after your studies

Graduates may be able to apply to work in the UK by making an application under Tier 2 of the Points-Based System. You will need to have a job offer at graduate level and be earning a specified minimum wage. Your potential employer will also need to be a Tier 2 sponsor licensed by UK Visas and Immigration. If you have a prospective employer, you could ask them about applying for Tier 2.

In addition, the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa exists for graduates who have been endorsed as having a genuine and credible business idea. Please note that from 5 July 2019 this scheme will be replaced by the Start Up visa scheme. Find out more on UK Visas and Immigration

Find out more...

If you are interested in a work placement, contact or visit the Work Placement Unit in your relevant faculty:

HLS, Edith Murphy House, Room 1.23 or email

CEM, Gateway House, 4th Floor or email

BAL, Hugh Aston, Room 0.36 or email

You can contact our Careers Team on for general careers information or visit them on the ground floor of Gateway House.

If you are planning to work whilst you're studying, you will also need to apply for a National Insurance number once you are in the UK.