Skip to content

Extending your student visa

Pre-departure visa advice

If you are still in your home country and need advice on applying for a visa to study in the UK, guidance is available from the UK Government website. Additional information is also available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) 

Where can I get advice on extending my visa?

Help with visa extensions is available at DMU and we recommend that you make an appointment with DSU Advice which is based in the Students' Union, in the Campus Centre. Caseworkers there can assist you with your visa extension and upload it directly on your behalf for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). You can make an appointment by visiting in person, or by phoning (0116) 255 5576.

It is important to follow the requirements carefully and to take advice about extending your visa.  The requirements are strict and failure to provide the correct evidence in the appropriate format, and on time, will result in refusal. 

When should I apply?

It is very important to apply well before your current leave to enter/remain expires, and ideally at least one month before. DSU Advice recommend that you start the process of visa extension at least six weeks before your visa expiry date. 

How much does it cost?

There is a fee for both students and dependants to extend immigration permission to stay in the UK.  To check the current fee, visit the UK Government website.  DSU Advice does not make any charge for assisting you with your application and uploading it for UKVI to process. 

What if I want to stay and work in the UK after my studies?

International graduates might be able to apply for permission to work in the UK after their studies through Tier 2 of the Points-Based System. More information is available via the working in the UK after your studies page.