Arriving soon

If you are coming to DMU soon, the information here may answer some of the questions you might have about your arrival.

Arriving in the UK

UK Border Force provide a list of Top Ten tips when arriving at the UK border.

Travelling from the airport to DMU

You can find guidance here on coach, train and taxi services to Leicester, from the following airports:

Information is also available if you are travelling from mainland Europe by Eurostar.

Arriving out of hours

If you can, we advise arriving at DMU during office hours. If you are arriving after 5pm on a weekday, or over a weekend, we recommend contacting your accommodation provider directly, so that they can arrange for you to collect your keys and access your room.

The DMU security office is open 24 hours a day and can be contacted outside of office hours on +44 (0)116 257 7642.

If you have questions about your arrival at DMU, please contact us at

Moving into your accommodation

Please make sure that you have arranged accommodation before you arrive at DMU. Rooms in halls should be arranged and confirmed in advance.

If you have a place at DMU you should have already received an email inviting you to book your accommodation online. If you haven’t received this, please let us know by emailing us at Further information can be found on our accommodation pages.

What to bring with you

We understand that you may be coming to live in the UK for a year or more but please remember that you can buy most things easily and cheaply when you arrive. We provide a brochure with details about some of the most useful shops and supermarkets in Leicester.

If you are living in DMU halls, you will be provided with a bedding pack (containing pillows, sheets and a duvet), so you wouldn't need to bring bedding with you.

Remember, if you are using our Heathrow coach pick-up service, there is a luggage allowance of two suitcases (plus hand luggage), so please choose what to pack carefully.

You can get detailed information from UK Border Force about what you are allowed to bring with you into the UK, and what items you need to declare as you go through Customs. Be careful if you are planning to bring food; bringing meat, milk and other animal products from outside the EU is prohibited by HM Revenue and Customs.

Additional guidance about your arrival is also available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

International Student Guide

The International Student Guide contains guidance about your arrival at the university, as well lots of useful information about living and studying in the UK. Please take a look through the Guide before you arrive!


We advise all students to consider arranging travel insurance for yourself and your luggage.

Once you are in the UK, we strongly recommend that you arrange insurance for your personal belongings and valuables. The insurance company Endsleigh is recommended by the National Union of Students (NUS) and provides insurance packages for students; check their website for more information or look for other insurance providers online. 

If your course is for six months or more then you should be able to access the UK National Health Service. If your course lasts for less than six months, you will not be entitled to access the full range of NHS services and so you may need to arrange private healthcare insurance. More information about healthcare is available here.

Other resources 


The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

This is the national advisory body for international students and those who work with them. The UKCISA site provides comprehensive information and guidance on immigration, visas, fees and funding, employment and other aspects of living and studying in the UK.  

Prepare for Success

Prepare for Success is an interactive learning tool for international students who are planning to study in the UK. It contains a wide range of different learning resources on themes connected with academic life in the UK, such as academic writing, independent study and critical thinking.

DMU International LibGuide

A 'one-stop shop' with information for DMU students on library, study and English language support, as well as links to information about life in Leicester and the UK

Education UK

Linked to the British Council site, the Education UK pages provide lots of information on living and studying in the UK as well as an online course-finder and information about fees, scholarships and assistance with funding.

Events target area image

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

News target area image

DMU is a dynamic university, read about what we have been up to in our latest news section.

Mission and vision target area image
Mission and vision

Read about our mission and vision and how these create a supportive and exciting learning environment.