Skip to content

Replacement certificates

Award Certificates

Certificates are usually presented during the university's graduation ceremony. Graduates who do not attend will have their certificate posted to them by recorded delivery within eight weeks of the ceremonies.  Intermediate certificates awarded during the year are posted out at regular intervals. 

If you do not receive your certificate please contact the graduation team on Email: stating your name, pnumber (if known), date of birth, year of completion and course, or by telephone +44 (0)116) 2577307

Graduates who still have an outstanding debt with the university will not receive their certificate until such time as their debt has been cleared. 

Replacement certificates (September 1992 onwards)

A duplicate certificate will be issued only at the discretion of the university if the original has been lost or defaced or destroyed. Each request will be dealt with on an individual basis.

Replacement certificates cost £35 and can be ordered from the DMU store.

Once your order has been received, a declaration form will be sent to you for your signature. This must be witnessed by a solicitor before you return it to us. A replacement certificate will then be produced and sent to you by recorded delivery. You should note that duplicate certificate can take up to eight weeks to be issued depending on the time of year. If for any reason we are not able to produce a certificate, the fee will be refunded. 

It should be noted that changes cannot routinely be made retrospectively e.g. you cannot have your award certificate re-issued in your maiden name following a divorce, marriage or change of name after you have finished your course at DMU. However a transsexual or transgender student may ask for a degree/diploma certificate to be reissued in his/her new name (see our policy on name changes for more information).


PLEASE NOTE:  Cancellation of a replacement certificate order once placed will incur a £10 cancellation and administration fee.

Replacement certificates can be ordered ONLINE here


Replacement certificates (pre September 1992)

As this university did not have a license to produce its own certificates prior to September 1992, awards gained before this year were produced by the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA).

The Open University now offers a pro-forma verification document, styled in a similar format to an award certificate, but indicating that this is an extract from the CNAA records.

Application forms can be obtained from the Open University via the CNAA aftercare partnership: +44 (0)1908 332 840.

Alternatively you can write to:

Open University Validation Services 44 Bedford Row London, WC1R 4LL, UK

E:  W:

Edexcel certificates (post-1994) 

DMU can only supply duplicate Edexcel certificates from 1994 onwards. Applicants should contact the university in writing at:

Academic Awards
Gateway House
De Montfort University

This excludes  the diploma of Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. Please contact

Please include in your letter the following information:

  • Full name while studying at DMU
  • Course and award gained
  • Year of award
  • Date of birth
  • Student number (if known)   


Edexcel certificates (pre-1994)

To apply for a replacement Edexcel certificates prior to 1994 please visit edexcel certificate services


Certified copies and confirmation of awards letters

To apply for a certified true copy of your certificate/transcript, a copy of the original  should be sent to the following address with a covering note and your contact details.

The same address can be used to request a letter confirming your award.

Student Records The Gateway Building De Montfort University Leicester, LE1 9BH, UK