Council tax exemption certificates

Full-time students are eligible to claim exemption from council tax from their local council. Local councils require a certificate as evidence of student status before they can grant exemption to you.

If you are a full-time student that lives in Leicester and Leicestershire, we will share a report with the Local Authority of the address you have provided, so you should not require a letter. 

If you would like to check your address is up to date, please visit the 'Personal Information' tile on MyDMU. You can update your address on the 'Personal Information' tile if necessary.

There is no need to visit the Student Gateway to collect a council tax exemption certificate. If you still wish to obtain a letter, please log onto MyDMU and select the ‘My Documents’ tile. Here you will be able to download and print the letter. 

Please click here to access the how to guide on using MyDMU to download letters. 

If you are studying at an associate college please contact the student support office at your college.