Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility
The Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility (CCSR) has gained an impressive reputation as a key player in the international research network for the ethical and social implications of ICT. With a growing demand from both the public and government to deliver acceptable ICT, the group is uniquely placed to offer independent expert advice that complements and enhances in-house experience. The CCSR is the only research centre in the UK specialising in the ethical and social issues of computing and information systems. The CCSR is constantly focussing on responsible research and innovation for the future.
CCSR has established the ETHICOMP conference series providing a regular European forum to debate the social responsibility implications of ICT since 1995 and is recognised as the premier conference series in Europe and the far east. Current projects include ‘Framework for Ethics in ICT’ and ‘Governance of Responsible Innovation’. These current projects include partners such as University of Oxford, University of Paris, University College London and VTT.
The CCSR has professional expertise in the following areas:
- Privacy and data protection (experience in conducting Privacy Impact Assessments)
- Information and computer ethics
- Social Impact of ICT
- Technology assessments
- Responsible research and innovation
The CCSR can benefit businesses by:
- Detecting early warnings of potential problems such as system failure, escalating costs and unethical practice.
- Looking at ICT issues in new ways
- Creating reputation-enhancing outcomes
- Supporting staff development through training.
- Qualitative ICT projects
- Risk Management
Access this expertise
The CCSR works with clients by exploring and discussing their relevant needs and requirements to establish the best way to collaborate on projects. Please contact us to discuss how the CCSR can work with you to deliver our expertise as effectively as possible.
Professional fees and charges
Please contact us to discuss fees and charges for the services and consultancy we provide.
Who we have worked with
The CCSR has world-wide collaborations, these include:
- Harvard University (USA)
- University of Oxford (UK)
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Germany)
- Southern Connecticut State University (US)
- Charles Sturt University (Australia)
- East Tennessee State University (US)
- Meiji University (Japan)
- Technical University of Gdansk (Poland)
- VTT (Finland)
- Technical University of Delft (The Netherlands)
- Rovira i Virgili University (Spain)
- University of Namur (Belgium)
- Tecnalia (Spain)
- University of Nuremberg (Germany)
- Fraunhofer Institute (Germany)
For further details and information of the CCSR's current projects, including those on responsible research and innovation, please click here.
Related services you may be interested in
Cyber Security Centre
Software Technology Research Laboratory
Business Development Manager
De Montfort UniversityFaculty of Computing, Engineering and MediaGateway House 4.64The Gateway,Leicester,LE1 9BH UK
T: +44 (0)116 207 8624
Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility Hand and Globe ImageCentre of Computing and Social Responsibility Padlock Image