Train the Trainer - Intravenous Therapy and Cannulation
DMU Health Skills offer a tailored package to assess learner competence with regard to intravenous therapy and cannulation to be implemented in the clinical area and to offer evidence of learning to the employer.
Structure and content
This two day course can be tailored to suit each individual company and includes the following content:
- Review of anatomy and physiology pertinent to intravenous therapy and cannulation
- Common problems associated with intravenous therapy and cannulation
- Documentation and good practice requirements
- The nursing role in relation to safe practice in; drug administration, side effects, contra indications, and identifying and managing allergic reactions.
- Clinical practice of intravenous therapy and cannulation
- Assessment of competency via observed structured clinical examination (OSCE)
By the end of the course delegates will be competent in delivering cascade training with regards to intravenous therapy and cannulation to other members of the clinical team by;
- Recognising the importance of guidance, policy and procedure with regard to intravenous therapy and cannulation
- Describing the relevant anatomy and physiology
- Outlining best practice technique and use of equipment for intravenous therapy and cannulation, including risk awareness and infection control procedures
- Identifying potential problems associated with venepuncture and knowing how to deal with them
- Illustrating the importance of supervision and competency with regard to self and others
Who the course is for
The course will be tailored to suit the service need for healthcare environments.
Recommended prior knowledge
It is advisable that the individuals attending the course are knowledgeable within intravenous therapy and cannulation and have confidence in their abilities to provide cascade training within clinical environments.
Our experts have been providing skills training for over 20 years and we have a number of qualified academics who lead these sessions. This event will include clinical competency in intravenous therapy and cannulation via an assessment by an observed structured clinical examination (OSCE).
This course can be tailored to suit individual customer needs. Trainers who successfully complete the 2 day event on intravenous therapy and cannulation will be awarded a DMU certificate and be equipped to cascade this clinical skill to other members of their clinical team.
Please contact DMU Health Skills for an individual or cohort price. This will ensure we offer a tailored price for your organisation.