This course is designed to provide the fundamental skill of venepuncture to registered and non-registered health care workers, and can also be tailored for groups wishing to upskill their staff in this area, such as community pharmacy’s.
Structure and content
The course is run over 3 hours and includes:
- Recognition of the importance of guidance, policy and procedure with regard to venepuncture
- Relevant anatomy and physiology in relation to venepuncture and specifically paediatric venepuncture
- Vein selection and demonstration of correct technique
- Best practice technique and use of equipment for venepuncture, including risk awareness and infection control procedures
- Identifying potential problems associated with venepuncture and knowing how to deal with them
- The importance of supervision and competency with regard to self and others
Who the course is for
The course can be tailored for any individual or group who’s remit is to provide a venepuncture service.
Recommended prior knowledge
No prior knowledge is required.
Key learning outcomes
By the end of the course delegates will be competent in paediatric venepuncture (taking blood).
Our experts have been providing venepuncture training for over 20 years and we have a number of qualified academics who lead these sessions.
This course can be tailored to suit individual customer needs. The course can be delivered at De Montfort University in our specialised clinical laboratory, or in-house at a venue of your choice.
Please contact the DMU Health Skills team for an individual or cohort price. This will ensure we offer a tailored price for your organisation.