Skip to content

Student records

Certified copies

To apply for a certified true copy of your certificate/transcript, a copy of the original should be sent to the following address with a covering note and your contact details.

Student Records
The Gateway Building
De Montfort University
Leicester, LE1 9BH, UK


There will be a charge of £5 per copy for this service. Please send a cheque, payable to De Montfort University, with your request or telephone the cashier on 0116 207 8330 to make payment over the phone. You will need to quote your receipt number in your correspondence.

Confirmation of award letters

If you require written confirmation of your award then you will need to provide the following information:

Name, Date of Birth, Student Number (if known),  Course studied, Qualification achieved, Dates of Study and the reason for your request.

Please send this, either by post, fax, or email to:

Student Records
Student and Academic Services
 The Gateway Buiding
De Montfort University 
Leicester, LE1 9BH, UK


If you are a current student and require confirmation of your student status, please visit the ASK Desk, Student Gateway, ground floor Gateway House.

Reference requests

If you would like to request verification of a students details then please note that the University now subscribes to the Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD) online verification service. All verification requests should be made using this service. Please note that we no longer deal with verification requests directly and all such requests will automatically deleted

Award certificates

Certificates are usually presented during the university's graduation ceremony. Graduates who do not attend will have their certificate posted to them by recorded delivery shortly after the ceremonies have taken place. Intermediate certificates awarded during the year are posted out at regular intervals. 

If you do not receive your certificate please contact the helpline on
+44 (0)116 257 7307

Graduates who still have an outstanding debt with the university will not receive their certificate until such time as their debt has been cleared. 

Replacement certificates (pre-1992)

As this university did not have a license to produce its own certificates prior to 1992, awards gained before this year were produced by the Council of National Academic Awards (CNAA).

The Open University now offers a pro-forma verification document, styled in a similar format to an award certificate, but indicating that this is an extract from the CNAA records.

Application forms can be obtained from the Open University via the CNAA aftercare service: +44 (0)1908 332 840.

Alternatively you can write to:

Open University
Validation Services
44 Bedford Row
London, WC1R 4LL, UK



Replacement certificates (post-1992)

A duplicate certificate will be issued only at the discretion of the university if the original has been lost or defaced. Each request will be dealt with on an individual basis.

Replacement certificates cost £35 and can be ordered online.

Once your order has been received, a declaration form will be sent to you for your signature. This must be witnessed by a solicitor before you return it to us. A replacement certificate will then be produced and sent to you by recorded delivery. You should note that duplicate certificate can take up to eight weeks to be issued depending on the time of year. If for any reason we are not able to produce a certificate, the fee will be refunded.

Edexcel certificates (post-1994) 

DMU can only supply duplicate Edexcel certificates from 1994 onwards. Applicants should contact the university in writing at the above address given above.

Please include in your letter the following information:

  • Full name while studying at DMU
  • Course and award gained
  • Year of award
  • Date of birth
  • Student number (if known)

Edexcel certificates (pre-1994)

To apply for a replacement Edexcel certificates prior to 1994 please visit edexcel certificate services


Transcripts are produced by the faculty from which you graduated and are dependent on the relevant information still being available  at the University.  The transcript may be split into'standard' and 'enhanced'. The enanced charge would reflect the additional work required to complete more complex requests.

Standard transcripts will cover details of *students study including; student details, period of study, programme, qualification and module results, qualification obtained, produced as a transcript or letter format confirming the details. The charge for this is £20.00.

Enhanced transcripts will cover details of  *students study and can include the following; student details, period of study, programme of study, qualification, module results, qualification obtained, curriculum details, module specifications, accreditation documents, Placement details, covering letter (if required). This is usually required for requests for overseas working, employer confirmation of study details. The charge for this is £50.00.

Transcripts are available to purchase from the DMU online store

*Students who studied at a campus other than Leicester should email with the following information.

Full name

Date of Birth 

Date Graduated

Course studied

The provision of a transcript will only be possible if the information was transferred to our Leicester archives. Information for studies completed at other campuses prior to 2001 was not always fully transferred.

Please note that Student Records does not hold syllabus or course work details on any programmes.