Choose to reuse for a more sustainable future
What you need to know about our campaign on single use plastic
At DMU we are working to reduce plastic use on campus as part of our commitment to support the United Nations' 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
It is estimated that the UK throws away around 2.5bn disposable coffee cups a year and almost all are incinerated, exported or sent to landfill because their plastic lining makes them difficult to recycle. The wider effects of plastic waste were recently highlighted on BBC One's Planet Earth II, which showed marine life suffering from ingesting buckets, toothpicks and more.
As part of DMU's commitment to the SDG's, all students and staff will be able to collect a free reusable mug at the locations below during the dates and times stated. The reusable mug, which is insulated to keep drinks hot, can be used in all outlets across campus. Our hot drinks prices are currently discounted as they do not include the cost of a disposable mug; from 8 October 2018, if you don't use a reusable mug you will be charged an extra 25p for a disposable cup.
We have already taken several steps to reduce disposable plastics on campus, including:
- Introducing more crockery across our catering outlets,
- Replacing plastic cutlery with wooden, compostable, cutlery,
- Introducing enhanced recycling facilities in our food court area, and
- Installing further water fountains and refill points on campus, bringing the total to more than 60. Please click here for a full list of the locations.
More activities will be taking place over the coming months to further help to reduce our plastics use.
Where to collect your reusable mug
Saturday 22 - Friday 28 September, 10am - 2pm
Food Court, 10am - 2pm
Campus Centre, 10am - 2pm
Kimberlin Library, 10am - 2pm
Tuesday 25 - Wednesday 26 September
Matriculation Ceremonies, The Venue
Monday 1 - Friday 5 October
Hugh Aston Reception, 10am - 2pm
Clephan Reception, 10am - 2pm
Vijay Patel Art Tower Reception, 10am - 2pm
Edith Murphy Reception, 10am - 2pm
Hawthorn Undercroft, 10am - 2pm
Queens Building Reception, 10am - 2pm
Bede Island - Faculty of Technology Reception, 10am - 2pm
Spring Welcome Event 2019, Monday 21 January
Campus Centre Atrium
How to get the best from your reusable mug
- Show your mug some love and hand wash it on a regular basis to keep it nice and clean
- Please don't put your mug in the dishwasher as this will affect its thermal properties
- Make sure the slider on the lid is closed when placing the mug in your bag to avoid spillages and leaks
What else can I do to reduce plastic use?
Here are some sinple steps to reduce plastic use:
- Use a reusable carrier bag for your shopping
- Make use of your reusable mug for drinks
- Carry a reusable water bottle
- Say no to disposable plastic cutlery
- Avoid products which are heavily packaged in plastic