Skip to content


Frequently Asked Questions about Post-Registration Study.

Essential information for completing your learning beyond registration (LBR) online application form

I am a nurse and I want to top up my diploma to a degree. How soon after registration can I apply?

  • If you have 120 credits at both level 4 (certificate level) and level 5 (diploma level), and have at least one year’s experience as a Staff Nurse, you can apply.
  • If you have 120 credits level 4 and 30 credits at level 5 you will need three year’s experience before you can apply.

Therefore, if you have fewer academic credits you will need more experience before you can apply for any of the post-registration programmes or modules.

 What is a programme?

A ‘programme’ is the name given to an extended period of assessed study.

On satisfactory completion of a programme students are awarded an academic qualification which may or may not contain a professional qualification. A degree is awarded on the accumulation of 60 academic credits (non honours degree) or 120 credits (honours degree) at level 6.

The programme title remains with you throughout your period of study. The programme is very often the title of the degree you are studying.

 What is a module?

A programme is made up from a number of different modules, and a module usually only lasts for one semester. Typically a student will undertake one or two modules in each semester and there are a total of three semesters in each academic year.

Every module has a code. For example:

  • NMAH 2000: Return to Study
  • PRED 3000: Principles and Practice of Mentorship

Not every module runs in every semester and modules do not run on the same day and time every year. For up to date information please refer to the modules index’ on our website at:

What is a semester?

The word semester means virtually the same as a ‘term’. There are three semesters in an academic year. They run as follows:

  • Semester 1- September to January
  • Semester 2 - January to May
  • Semester X - June to September.

 Most modules last only for a single semester. Some midwifery and prescribing modules, however, span over two semesters. A few modules run in semester X. This semester is also referred to at times as semester three.

I don’t want to complete a degree, I only want to take individual modules? Can I do that?

Yes. This is referred to as accessing ‘stand-alone’ modules. This will give you degree level credits.

What is the maximum number of credits I can take in a single semester?

The vast majority of modules available for you to choose from are either 15 or 30 credit modules.

  • Part-time students can take a maximum of 30 credits in one semester
  • Full-time students can take a maximum of 60 credits in one semester.

 I’m not sure what programme I wish to study. What should I do?

 There are a variety of degrees to choose from. Information on the full range of undergraduate degrees and postgraduate degrees can be found on our website.

What if I change my mind and decide I do wish to have my credits counted towards a full degree. Can I do that?

Yes, this may be possible on some programmes but you must enrol onto a programme (identifying your exit award) rather than stand-alone modules before commencing the last module for the degree. The modules you have taken must be relevant to the degree programme you now wish to follow and as long as the credits from the modules you have previously attended are still current and haven’t ‘expired’. If you decide to follow a non-honours 60-credit degree, for example, all credits counted as part of the degree must have been achieved within the preceding four years. For the 120 credit honours degree, the time period is five years.

I have completed modules at another university, can this count towards my degree?

Yes you may be able apply for Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL); this is a process that enables you to gain credits for prior learning which may count towards your academic studies. The credits need to be relevant to your programme of study and must not have already been used as part of an exit Award for a previous degree.

Can I use the credits from a module towards two different awards?

You can only be enrolled onto one programme at a time and you can only spend the credits once. If for example you have accrued credits towards the Health and Professional Practice (HAPP) BSc (Hons) but then started on the Non-Medical Prescribing modules, you would need to decide at the start of the Non-Medical Prescribing programme whether you wished to exit with a BSc in Prescribing or carry on and use the credits towards your Health and Professional Practice (HAPP) BSc (Hons) award.

What about funding?

All students on modules with both a theory and practice element will need a sign-off mentor and the opportunity to complete clinical learning outcomes. Please ensure you have discussed this internally before submitting your application.

Students on any other programme or module can be self-funding or funded by East Midlands Local Education Training Board (LETB) through the East Midlands Education Commissioning Unit, so long as they meet the criteria outlined funding.

Will my degree be full-time or part-time?

This depends on the degree programme you wish to study. Students on the Specialist Community Public Health Nursing Programme, for example, can be full-time (one year) or part-time (two years).

There is a full-time District Nursing pathway on the Nursing Specialist Practice (PG Dip /MSc) with NMC Qualification (SPQ) it can also be accessed on a part-time basis.

All other programmes and modules are available on a part-time only basis.

I want to do the Specialist Community Public Health Nursing (SCPHN) Programme. What are the hours involved?

Students on the full time SCPHN programme are seconded for 52 weeks (full time that includes 45 taught weeks and 7 weeks holiday)

  • For a 15-credit module there are three hours of taught content, and an hour of directed study.
  • You must complete four, 15 credit modules in both semester 1 and 2.
  • In semester X you must complete your supervised practice
  • You must complete 12 weeks of supervised practice

I want to undertake Health and Professional Practice BSc (Hons). How often do I need to attend the university?

This depends on the modules you undertake. The usual format for attendance is two hours per week (15 credit module) or four hours per week (30 credit module) over 10 weeks. Some modules run over four to five complete days either in a single one-week-block or as four to five study days distributed across a number of weeks.

Precise information can be found in the modules index.

I’m confused by what is meant by ‘pathway’?

A pathway focuses your area of study to a particular area of practice and is reflected in the title of the degree you will be awarded. Not all degrees have pathways.

Pathways are not present in:

  • BSc Health and Professional Practice BSc
  • BSc (Hons) Health and Professional Practice BSc (Hons)

Pathways are present in:

  • Specialist Community Public Health Nursing: BSc (Hons)  
  • Pathways in - School Nursing or Health Visiting
  • Specialist Practitioner Qualification BSc (Hons) Programme:
    Pathways in – Adult Nursing, Learning Disability Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, General practice nursing and District Nursing.

If your degree contains a pathway it is important that you know the name of the pathway when contacting the university.

How do I decide whether to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level?

Usually to undertake postgraduate (level 7) study you will need a first degree with a classification of 2:2 or above, but there may be different ways you can access certain postgraduate modules, so check with the programme leader. For study at undergraduate level (level 6) you usually have to show that you have been successful with diploma level (level 5) academic study within the last five years. For certain specialist programmes such as Non-Medical Prescribing you will need to show evidence of study at degree level within the last three years to access this programme or to undertake the modules as stand-alone.

I have a degree from another discipline (e.g. English BA (Hons)) do I need to top up to a Nursing degree or should I consider studies at MA level?

This depends on your career aspirations, practice requirements and your potential academic abilities. A nursing degree is not essential for practise. A Master’s degree is becoming more of a requirement for managerial and senior caring positions.

I already have a nursing/healthcare based degree and I wish to undertake a specialist programme at degree level rather than Masters. Will I then have two undergraduate degrees?

If you have a first degree in a related healthcare field you will be enrolled for the Graduate Certificate.

What do I need to send with my LBR application/enrolment form?

You will need to provide copies of qualification certificates or transcripts together with copies of professional/educational documents to ensure that you meet all the criteria for access to your chosen studies and meet university regulations.  At a minimum this would be:

Copies of the following:

Current NMC/HPC pin card

Professional registered qualification certificates

Evidence of H E Diploma level 5 study or above ( this is not required for the Return to Study Module)

Other relevant qualifications you may have gained since leaving school.

Do not send any original documents?

Your form will not be processed if the relevant copies are not sent. Your form will be placed ‘on hold’ while we contact you for these, delaying your enrolment.

Do I need to send an original full Enhanced CRB form with my application/enrolment form?

All applicants must have a CRB however for the programmes below there are specific requirements that must be complied with in regards of you application.

No, you do not need to send your original full enhanced CRB form with your application, but you do require one.

I have studied at DMU previously. Do I still need to send my certificates etc. with my form?

You are only required to send your highest qualification if you are a new student to DMU.

I have undertaken an adaption course is this important?

Yes, you should make it clear on your application that you have completed it and send a copy of the certificate.

Do I need to complete the Return to Study module first before I can choose other modules?

There are a number of reasons why the Return to Study module is available. It is a bridging module to level 6 study. Those undertaking this module could fall in to the groups below:

  • Trained as a nurse and gained SRN at certificate level and has no further academic study in order to progress.
  • Already has higher education study such as the Diploma in Nursing, however this was achieved some time ago and the applicant would like a refresher and confidence building
  • Trained outside of the UK and the existing qualifications are not at level 5

I trained overseas as a nurse and have international qualifications can these be used to study at DMU?

This will depend on where and when your international qualifications were gained. All international qualifications are checked within the UK national database, which makes as assessment of these qualifications. Some qualifications have the same value in the UK and some do not. If the qualification is different it may mean that the applicant would have to undertake the Return to Study module first.

What type of mentor do I need to study LBR programmes and modules?

Specialist Community Public Health Nursing in either Health Visiting or School Nursing Programme

practice teacher for semesters 1 and 2. For semester X you will require a sign off Practice Teacher

Specialist Practitioner with NMC SPQ Programme

SPQ Sign off mentor, holding the NMC recorded SPQ

Health and Professional Practice Programme

clinical mentor

Clinical Midwifery Programme

clinical mentor

Non-medical prescribing

A designated medical practitioner (must be a specialist registrar, GP or Consultant). In addition you will need to have a non-medical prescribing nurse ‘buddy’ for the programme duration and to act as a preceptor when you start prescribing.

Practice education

clinical mentor

Is there on-site student parking at DMU?

Unfortunately there is no on-site parking unless you are a registered disabled person. However, there is frequent public transport, hospital hopper service and ample city centre parking available. There is some limited on road parking. The train station is also close by.

Will I need to be able to use a computer to undertake LBR study?

Yes. Many of the learning materials are accessed on the Virtual Learning Environment or via the internet; which is integral to each module. You will need to be able to use a database such as ATHENS and conduct searches for your self-directed study. Many journals are now held electronically and you will need to access these to locate supporting evidence for your assessed work so computer skills are important. Being able to use programmes such as Microsoft Office will benefit you as this is utilised for the submission of work. Access to email is used for sending tutorial drafts of work for comment and communication with students.

Can I get help with the computerised skills that I need?

The library staff can go through some basic skills as mentioned above in regards of access to electronic database searches for material, searching the library book catalogue and accessing electronic journals. You should approach the staff with your enquiry and book an appointment. They will do their best to help.

How can I obtain further information?

Further information can be gained from contacting the Module/Programme Leader, Admissions Tutor or by attending one of our open day events. Here you can discuss your own individual circumstances with academic staff who can advise you on module/programme selection and career development information.
Add right column templates here