What students should expect
These are the services that students of the university should expect to receive:
- Access to end user computers in student IT spaces, on campus, with hardware that is capable of running the software and supplying the services to support student study.
- Standard software on computers for use in learning, including word processors, spreadsheets, database systems and web browsers, supplemented where appropriate by other software tools. All software will operate within a current operating system.
- Systems for printing out materials attached to computers or through them using a local network (printing services may be subject to a fee).
- The provision of network connections, giving access to local networked resources and to national and international networks.
- The provision of a wireless network on the university campus and facilities for students to register to use the network with their own equipment.
- On and off campus access through any web-enabled computer to the university's learning and teaching systems, such as a web server, a virtual learning environment and myDMU.
- Access to personal data that the university holds about you, through a secure electronic online system – myDMU.
- An email system that is accessible from a web-enabled computer anywhere in the world, allowing you to communicate with fellow students and with university staff.
- A storage area, accessible on and off campus, in which students can keep electronic files and data.
- A telephone system enabling students to contact the university and leave voicemail messages.
- Systems that defend university assets from attack.
- The provision of information about the availability of IT services.
- The ability to feed back opinions on service provision through surveys and other systems.
- The provision of information on relevant regulations and usage policies.
- Mechanisms for receiving reports of technical and associated issues from students, for ensuring that these are dealt with and the results fed back to students.
- Access rights to all student systems are terminated 90 days after leaving the university.