Jo qualified as a Registered Mental Health Nurse (RMN) in 2001 and joined DMU as a Senior Lecturer in Mental Health nursing after a number of years of clinical experience. Her qualifications include:
- PG Cert in Higher Education with NMC RTQ - De Montfort University 2014
- Masters Certificate in Contemporary Issues in Non-Medical Prescribing -Coventry University 2010.
- Masters Certificate in The Practice of Non-Medical Prescribing- Coventry University 2010.
- MA in Community Mental Health (Recovery Programme) - The University of Birmingham - 2008.
- BSc in Mental Health Nursing with Merit Award. Coventry University - 2001.
- Registered Mental Health Nurse - Nursing and Midwifery Council Register.
Jo teaches pre and post-graduate education with particular emphasis on psychosocial interventions, acute mental health care, community mental health care, prescribing in mental health settings, mental health recovery and mental health diagnoses - with particular interest in the experience of and care of those with psychosis.
Jo is currently studying her PhD: “Exploring undergraduate mental health nursing student experience of socialisation in compassionate practice: A constructivist study.”
Jo was awarded The Vice-Chancellors Distinguished Teaching Award in 2015.