Mr Stuart Lawson
Job: Associate Head, School of Design / Subject Leader / Senior Lecturer
Faculty: Arts, Design and Humanities
School/department: School of Design
Address: De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester, UK, LE1 9BH
T: +44 (0)116 257 8977
UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON, 2004-2006
Lecturer, University of Brighton (Faculty of Engineering). Product Innovation & Development MSc; Module Leader of the Prototyping, Materials & Manufacturing component
DESIGN CONSULTANT, Stuart Lawson Design & Development 2003-2006
Furniture design. Clients included Marks & Spencer and Homebase
DESIGN CONSULTANT, Derhaag Lawson 2001-2003
Anglo-Dutch partnership specialising in furniture design, shop interiors and retail display.
DESIGN CONSULTANT, at the third stroke 1999-2001
Supported by Deutsche Bank. Commissions ranged from restaurant interiors to furniture and exhibition design. Examples of the partnership’s work were included in the 2000 New Design & Technology at the Design Museum in London.
Publications and outputs
[Add Publications and Outputs content here]
Key research outputs
Furniture Design: An Introduction to Development, Materials and Manufacturing (to be published by Laurence King in 2013
Enabling the Postgraduate Development of Enhanced Research Methodologies and Analytical Models for Primary Research (Conference Paper & Proceedings E&PDE 2011)
Are Entrepreneurship and Disruptive, Rather than Sustaining Innovation, Appropriate as Prime Foci for Product Design Curricula? (Conference Paper & Proceedings E&PDE 2012)
- Current practice and innovation in materials and manufacturing processes related to furniture. Also, furniture design history – predominantly related to materials and manufacturing
- Design Pedagogy – particularly linked to research methodologies for product and furniture design
Areas of teaching
- New Product Development
- Research for Design
- Professional Practice
- BA (Hons) Three-Dimensional Design for Production (University of Brighton, 1994-1997)
- MA RCA Design Products (Royal College of Art, 1997-1999)
- Product Design BA (Hons)
- Product Design BSc (Hons)
- Product and Furniture Design BA (Hons)
- Furniture Design BA (Hons)
- Design Products MDes
- Product Design MA
Membership of external committees
- Expert Advisory Group Member: DSTEM Project (University Alliance & Design Council Collaboration). 2012-
Membership of professional associations and societies
- Royal Society of Arts (RSA): Fellow (2010-)
E&PDE 2010 When Design Education and Design Research Meet...’ by Design Education, The Design Society & the Institute of Engineering Designers: Trondheim, September 2010.
Conference Paper presented. Author; Stuart Lawson. Trip and conference funded by Department of Product & Interior Design
E&PDE 2011 Design Education for Creativity and Business Innovation: London, September 2010.
Conference Paper presented. Author; Stuart Lawson. Trip and conference funded through KTP Staff Development fund.
Areas of expertise: Domestic & Contract Furniture Design / Expert Witness related to furniture design.
Current research students
- Deborah Jewison. PhD (2nd supervisor)
- Frederieke Begeman. MPhil (2nd supervisor)
Internally funded research project information
Active-Stage Storage Primary Research Study (Initial study).
FUNDING: Design and New Product Development Research Cluster-funded.
COLLABORATION: DMU Design Products & the Furniture Industry Research Association [FIRA] (Jan-May 2010). Principle Investigator: Stuart Lawson.
Furniture Design: An introduction to development, materials and manufacturing - Stuart Lawson