“Nitrate: creative practice as research”, Canadian Creative Writers & Writing Programs conference, “Creative Writing in the 21st Century”, Thursday May 10th — Sunday May 13th 2012, Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, Toronto.
“‘the words you can & do remember / by the hand to write / defy the night’: John James and the resistance to gravity”. Birkbeck Centre for Poetics Research, Keynes Library, London WC1, 9th March 2012.
‘“Kinked up like it wants to bark”: Contemporary British Poetry at the tomb of the Poète Maudit’. Paper given at the International conference Legacies of Modernism: The State of British Poetry Today, 9-11th June 2011, Université Paris-Diderot, Institut Charles V, 10, rue Charles V, 75004 Paris.
“Treasure Islands: Douglas Oliver, Hannah Arendt and the Pathos of Novelty” paper given at Variations on the Theme of Harm: A One-Day Conference on the Work of Douglas Oliver, Dept of Literature, Film and Theatre Studies and the Centre for Psychoanalytic Studies, December 5th 2009.
“Up the Northampton NILE - Paddle Provided (demonstration of the Northampton Integrated Learning Environment)” with Dr Ruth Robbins. Given at the Studying Poetry conference November 28th 2003, University of Hertfordshire, De Havilland Campus, Hatfield
“One’s Regard Per Se: Leslie Scalapino’s Moebius Comic Strip” Given at Postmodern Poetry: An International Conference 30-31 March 1998, Exmouth Campus, University of Plymouth. July 1998.
“Being Apprehended, Being Overlooked: Barbara Guest’s Fair Realism” Given at "Something We Have That They Don’t”: Post-War Anglo-American Poetic Relations conference held at Centre For English Studies, University of London, July 1998.
“Hanging on Your Every Word: J.H.Prynne’s Bands Around The Throat” Given at The Works of J.H. Prynne: A One Day Colloquium December 15th 1998, English Faculty, Cambridge University.
Poetry And Artificial Intelligence”, given at the Assembling Alternatives international poetry conference / Festival held at the University of New Hampshire, U.S.A. 29 August - 2 September 1996.
“Response And Responsibility In J.H. Prynne’s Word Order”, given at the Identity And Community In Contemporary British Poetry conference held at the Centre For English Studies, University Of London. September 1 1996.
“Tom Raworth’s Eternal Sections and Recent Debates Concerning The Politics Of signification”, given at the Twentieth-century Graduate Research seminar, English Faculty, Cambridge. March 11 1995 .
“J.H. Prynne’s The Oval Window”, given at the Twentieth-century Graduate Research seminar, English Faculty, Cambridge. May 1994.
April 24 1993 : “A Reading Of Brian Catling’s The Stumbling Block”, given at The Third Cambridge Conference Of Contemporary Poetry, Kings College May 1993.
Selected Poetry Readings / Public Performances (since joining DMU)
- Poetry reading at the xing the Line series, The Apple Tree, London WC1X 0AE, 20th April 2012
- Invited to give a talk on John James, and then an evening poetry reading, at The Birkbeck Centre for Poetics Research, Keynes Library, London WC1, 9th March 2012.
- Reading with visuals at Sussex Poetry Festival, Nightingale Theatre, Brighton, July 1st, 2011
- Featured poet at Shindig! Reading series, The Western, Leicester, 27th June 2011
- Invited to talk on my book Nitrate at Open Meeting of the Poetry and Poetics Research Group, Edge Hill University, 11th November, 2010.
- Reading to launch the first issue of Cleaves magazine at the Turkey Café, Leicester, March 2010
- An installation of an audio-visual version of my book of poems Nitrate, was screened on a loop all night at the Phoenix digital Arts Center, Leicester for the Cpulse Launch event 29th January 2010. I also gave a live poetry reading.
- Reading at the States of Independence Independent Publishers Fair that the Creative Writing team co-hosted with Five Leaves Press, March 2010 – and which drew in 500 visitors, and was successful enough for Derby to use our model for a similar event themselves.
- Launch reading for Nitrate as part of Salt Poetry Night at Cultural eXchanges alongside the internationally respected poets Tom Raworth and John James.
- Reading at Salt Poetry’s 10th Anniversary event, The Punter, Cambridge, 28th January, 2010
- Clutch of Odes Launch at the Western Pub, Leicester,2009