Placements: Leicestershire County Council ICT Services
Principal Technical Specialist, ICT Services, Leicestershire County Council
Leicestershire County Council's ICT Services section has been privileged to be involved with the Technology Placement unit since the 1990s.
In joining us for a year as part of a sandwich course, students immediately become members of the team and have had a full role in customer support and installation work.
Some examples of the tasks they have been involved in are:
- Rolling out a totally new corporate electronic mail system across the authority
- Assisting in the migration of all PC/laptops/printers, etc to the new structured LAN cabling in County Hall
- Installation of PCs, printers, scanners, laptops, software and other peripherals
- Assisting in the 18 month long county wide server replacement project
- Desktop and Network support for around 4500 customers at over 200 sites across Leicestershire
All of our students so far have taken the opportunity to join in with the social aspect of the post. Our events have included five-a-side football, fancy dress days for Comic Relief, sports days, Uni-hoc and "curry nights".
We benefit from the fresh sense of enthusiasm and eagerness that the students bring which serves to remind how we all started our careers in IT.
Firm friends have been made and we have a number of current permanent staff doing very well in ICT careers having joined us on a placement year during their degrees. We hope this continues for the foreseeable future.