2017/18 Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarships
The Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarships provide students with the opportunity to develop their sporting performance while studying at university.
Eligible students will be awarded up to £6,000 of support. This includes:
- A cash bursary of up to £4,000
- Up to £2,000 towards sport-specific support, such as physiotherapy, strength and conditioning training, and private medical insurance
Image of DMU student during Varsity 2017
To qualify for the Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship you must:
- Be enrolled on an undergraduate, postgraduate taught or postgraduate research course during the academic year 2017/18
- Compete at a high representative level*, and be able to demonstrate passion and commitment to your sport
*We are aware that there are huge variances in sports, and the standards people can achieve, so email us if you’d like to discuss your application further. See below for the tiers of scholarship available:
- Tier 1: For students performing at high national or international level
- Tier 2: For students performing at high county or national level
- Tier 3: For student performing at county level
- Tier 4: For students who have already received an academic scholarship from DMU
|Individual total value
||Up to £6,000
||Up to £4,400
||Up to £3,000
||Up to £1,100
||Up to £4,000
||Up to £2,400
||Up to £1,000
||Up to £600
|Value in kind
||Up to £2,000
||Up to £2,000
||Up to £2,000
||Up to £500
Terms and conditions and course exclusions apply to this scholarship.
How to apply
The application process for the 2017/18 academic year is now open for September and January starters.
September 2017 intake application process
- Friday 4 August, first deadline for the Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarships applications
- Tuesday 15 August, applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application
- Thursday 17 August, A-level results day, undergraduate scholarship decisions ratified according to academic entry to university
- Thursday 26 October, deadline for late applicants
- Monday 6 November, late applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application
January 2018 intake application process
- Thursday 25 January 2018, deadline for applicants
- Monday 5 February 2018, applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application
Frequently asked questions
Q: I am not studying an academic sports course, am I still eligible to apply for the DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarships?
A: Yes! The DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarships are designed to support talented athletes progress within their sport and are related to your degree. Please note there are some courses exclusions.
Q: If I am awarded a DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarships what funding will I receive?
A: The DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarships provide funding of up to £6,000, dependant on the athlete level. If your application is successful your funding level will be confirmed to you within your award letter.
Q: When can I apply for a DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship?
A: There are three deadlines to apply for the DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship, the deadlines are: Friday 4 August 2017, Thursday 26 October 2017 and Thursday 25 January 2018. Unfortunately any applications outside of these deadlines will not be considered for a scholarship.
Q: If I am awarded a DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship in my first year do I automatically receive the scholarship in my second and third year?
A: The scholarship award is for one year only and if you would like to be considered for a scholarship in an additional study year you will need to reapply.
Q: Should I provide evidence with my application?
A: Yes it is important to provide as much evidence as possible to support your application.
Q: When will I receive my payments if successful?
A: The scholarship payments will be split into three payments, one per term directly in to your chosen bank account.
Q: Who makes the final decision on whether or not a DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship is awarded?
A: A panel is comprised of staff members from DMUsport to make the final decision.
Q: What should I do if I disagree with the application decision?
A: Email DMUsport outlining any issues or concerns you may have.
Q: Which sports are eligible for the DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship?
A: The scholarships are available to BUCS and Varsity sports; however exceptions may be made for sports not included on this list. Email DMUsport if you would like to apply for a sport that falls outside these parameters.
Q: I am having problems submitting my application online, who do I contact?
A: Email DMUsport outlining the issues you are having a member of the team will try to assist you.
Q: Will I receive my scholarship if I do not meet all the terms and conditions?
A: Sadly if you do not meet all the terms and conditions your funding offer will be withdrawn and you will not be eligible to receive the DMU Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship.