Surgical First Assistant
This module explores theory and practice related to the role and practices of the Surgical First Assistant in any operative environment and specialty. The module is designed to develop and enhance the knowledge and practice of individuals in this evolving challenging role and enhance patient safety.
Support in the clinical environment is gained from a consultant surgeon and clinical practice mentor in the students’ work area. Theoretical components include accountability, use of electro-surgery, consent, exploration of ethical/legal issues, haemostasis and risk assessments, tissue/organ retraction.
- Effective registration with the NMC / HPC or other relevant professional body. ESSENTIAL
- Undertaken successful level 4/5 academic study. ESSENTIAL
- Currently be employed in practice and have the support of their manager in undertaking the module. ESSENTIAL
- Have a named mentor in clinical practice throughout the duration of the module. ESSENTIAL
How to apply
Online Application Forms and Guidance Information
Module Category: NMAH
Module Code: 3329
Module Credits: 30
Module Level: 6
Semester 1 2018:
This module runs once in the academic year on Wednesday
- 09.00 - 16.00 Tuesday 2 October
- 09.00 - 16.00 Tuesday 16 October
- 09.00 - 16.00 Tuesday 24 October
- 09.00 - 16.00 Tuesday 30 October
- 09.00 - 16.00 Tuesday 6 November
- 09.00 - 16.00 Tuesday 20 November
- 09.00 - 16.00 Tuesday 27 November
Return to study
This is a degree-level module in which you will be expected to produce assessed work at degree-level standard.
If it is sometime since you undertook other kinds of academically assessed work, you will be well advised to consider undertaking some self-directed academic updating around returning to study.
More information can be found here