Enhancing communication skills
This module is designed to enhance the communication skills of nurses and allied health professional who come into contact with adults in various care settings.
It focuses on the difficult conversations professionals encounter in clinical practice.
The issues explored will reflect the interests of group participants but may include:
- exploring the skills required to elicit a patient’s concerns and anxieties
- How to deliver bad news
- How to respond most effectively to the angry patient or relative
- How to respond to a relative’s request to with hold information from a patient
- How to convey information most effectively and how to establish a patient’s understanding
- Effective registration with the NMC / HPC or other relevant professional body. ESSENTIAL
- Undertaken successful level 4/5 academic study. ESSENTIAL
- Currently be employed in practice and have the support of their manager in undertaking the module. ESSENTIAL
- Have a named mentor in clinical practice throughout the duration of the module. ESSENTIAL
Module Category: NMAH
Module Code: 3327
Module Credits: 15
Module Level: 6
Semester 2 2017:
This module runs once in the academic year in Semester 2:
On Mondays 13.00-17.00
- 13.00 - 17.00 Monday 30 January
- 13.00 - 17.00 Monday 13 February
- 13.00 - 17.00 Monday 27 February
- 13.00 - 17.00 Monday 13 March
- 13.00 - 17.00 Monday 27 March
Return to study
This is a degree-level module in which you will be expected to produce assessed work at degree-level standard.
If it is sometime since you undertook other kinds of academically assessed work, you will be well advised to consider undertaking some self-directed academic updating around returning to study.
More information can be found here
Learning Beyond Registration contract