The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH)
The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) is the professional organisation for people who work in housing. It has over 19,000 members who work predominantly in local authorities, housing associations and the private sector in the UK and Asia Pacific.
The CIH’s mission is to ‘maximise the contribution that housing professionals make to the well being of communities’. Its objectives include improving the delivery of housing and related services, to be an accessible professional body and to influence the policy agenda.
Each of the CCHR’s taught courses is accredited by the CIH. Students enrolling on these programmes automatically become student members of the CIH and benefits include:
- CIH Members Bulletin (weekly e-zine)
- Free weekly copy of Inside Housing magazine
- Careers and professional development service
- Discounts on a range of products and services
There is also a CIH Regional Network. The CIH East Midlands Region organises an annual conference and a bi-monthly series of seminars. The branch produces a regualar newsletter and has a website that provides details of current activities. See www.cih.org/branches/em.
The Centre for Comparative Housing Research works closely with the CIH on a national and regional basis. For example at a regional level:
* The CCHR collaborates with the East Midlands Region on developing and updating our programmes so that they reflect local employer requirements
* Staff play an active role on the East Midlands Regional Committee in organising and planning bi-monthly events and an annual conference
At a national level:
* The CCHR works in collaboration with the CIH in delivering undergraduate and postgraduate distance learning programmes
* The Centre has been commissioned by the CIH to contribute to a wide range of publications on allocations and lettings, rural housing strategies, housing and community care, and housing and the customer.
For further information about the work of the CIH and the benefits of membership, contact the CIH directly:
Chartered Institute of Housing
T: 02476 851700
F: 02476 695110