DMU logo

Outgoing Students

Are you interested in an Erasmus+ period as part of your degree but don’t know where to start? Want to find out about the EU grant for Erasmus+ students? These pages will guide you through the next steps.


All undergraduate students are eligible to study abroad with Erasmus+, subject to the conditions below. Students study abroad in their second year at DMU.

  • The exchange must take place within one of your faculty’s partner institutions. Check our Partner Institutions to find out which destinations are available for your subject area.
  • The exchange period must be full-time, even if you are normally a part-time student at DMU.

The exchange period must last a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months. This can be spent at more than one partner institution as long as each placement is a minimum of three months.

Application process

All outgoing Erasmus+ study placements are managed by #DMUglobal. To apply, visit the #DMUglobal page. Applications will be open in November 2017. In the meanwhile, come and meet the Erasmus+ team in Portland 0.37 where we can tell you more.

Funding and finance

  • Erasmus grant: You may be able to receive an Erasmus+ grant as a contribution towards your period abroad. Further details will be made available during the application process.
  • Tuition fees: No university fees will need to be paid to your host intuition for tuition, registration or access to facilities, although small charges may be made for access to photocopying, printing and laboratory materials. You will still pay tuition fees at a reduced rate to DMU during your time abroad - please see the fees and funding page for confirmation.
  • Student loan: If you normally receive a UK student loan, you will be able to apply for one to cover the Erasmus+ period abroad. It is your responsibility to notify your Local Education Authority and loan provider that you have been accepted as an Erasmus+ student, as this may affect the level of your maintenance loan.
  • Travel grant: You may be able to claim back a grant to help with travel expenses from Student Finance following your time abroad. The travel grant is income-assessed. To find out if you are eligible for the grant and to apply, you will need to fill in a form as part of your Student Finance application. Please contact your student finance provider for further information.


If you are going abroad for one semester only there are a limited number of rooms reserved in Victoria Hall, which you may be able to book for when you return dependent on availability. Please contact Accommodation Services directly if you would like to book a room. Alternatively, 6 months contracts are available in the private sector.

It may also be possible to let your room to another student at DMU for the duration of your placement so you do not have to pay two lots of rent. Rooms are sometimes advertised on the International Facebook page – it’s public so be careful about the personal information you share. Remember – You need to speak to your landlord/lady if you are looking to sublet your room, as they may have legal restrictions in place. Always check your accommodation contract carefully, and if in doubt seek assistance from your Student Advice Centre.

Language skills

Many of our partner universities offer teaching in English, although some are only available in the native language. You should choose your placement carefully and take a look at the languages of instruction on our Partner Institutions page.

Erasmus+ for Tier 4 students

Erasmus+ is open to anyone who is currently studying full or part-time towards a degree at a registered institution, and this includes International students who hold a Tier 4 visa.

However, you may need to obtain a visa for the country you will be studying in. Use the list of foreign embassies in the UK to find the website of the UK-based embassy of that country, which will tell you whether people of your nationality need to apply for a visa in order to study there. You should also speak to your faculty’s Erasmus Coordinator for further guidance.

It may also be necessary to extend your UK Tier 4 visa to include your period of time abroad and to ensure you are able to finish your registered course of study once you return to DMU. Please note that time spent on a study abroad programme is likely to be included in the 5-year maximum time limit for holding Tier 4 status set by the Home Office. You should speak to your faculty’s Erasmus Coordinator if you think you will need to extend your visa.


On completion of your study placement you will be required to complete and submit a final evaluation report – more details will be sent to you at the appropriate time.

It doesn’t have to end here though – many more international experiences are available via #DMUglobal, both further travel and study opportunities as well as events held here on campus. Take a look at the website to find out more!





Ieva Rekstyte 3

Ieva Rekstyte 4


Events target area image

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

News target area image

DMU is a dynamic university, read about what we have been up to in our latest news section.

Explore the DMU campus
Explore the DMU campus

Visit our Virtual Open Day to explore the DMU campus.