DMU logo


Single students with no dependants.

Most full-time students can’t claim means-tested benefits either during term-time or during the summer holidays. For the purpose of benefits claims you are treated as a full-time student until the day you complete your studies, or otherwise leave your course.

In your final year, even if you no longer need to attend university because you have completed your formal examinations, you are still seen as a student until the last day of your academic term. After that date you will no longer be considered a student and you may become eligible for means-tested benefits, such as Jobseeker’s Allowance and/or Housing Benefit.

Students with dependants/disability.

There are, however, some students who will be able to claim benefits throughout the year or over the summer, and some students who can claim Tax Credits throughout the year. If you and your partner are both full-time students and have dependent children, are a single parent, or if you have a disability and receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you should clarify what benefits you may be eligible to apply for. Students who are in paid employment may also be able to qualify for Working Tax Credits and students attending their studies on a part-time basis should also check to see if they are eligible for any financial assistance from benefits. This also applies to students who are ‘between courses’ (for example, you have completed an HND or Foundation Degree and plan to go onto a top-up year).

You may find the following links useful:













Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.