Housing Matters

Whilst at university things usually run smoothly with your housing, however sometimes difficulties can arise. The following information highlights some of the common concerns and addresses how to deal with them.


Rent Arrears

It is always best to keep your landlord informed if there is going to be any delay in paying rent. You can also get some advice from the Student Finance and Weflare team about how to approach your landlord if you have problems either with rent or your tenancy.

Are you being asked to leave your property?

If an agreement cannot be reached with a landlord over rent arrears payments, the landlord may threaten eviction.  The landlord must serve a ‘Notice to Quit’ on the tenant giving a time scale.  If the tenant does not comply with this, the landlord may then go to court to apply for a ‘Notice Seeking Possession’.  Again there will be a time scale on this for the tenant.  If the tenant does not comply with this notice the landlord can go to court to obtain an ‘Eviction Order’.  An eviction cannot legally take place unless the above process is followed.

Attempting to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent without a court order is a criminal offence punishable by a fine or imprisonment.

If you need advice regarding eviction, please contact a Welfare Officer:

T: (0116) 257 7595, option 3, then option 4

E: sfw@dmu.ac.uk


Council Tax

Full-time students are eligible to claim Council Tax exemption from their local Council.  For more information, please see here.


TV Licence

Students who watch any programmes live or on demand, without a TV Licence, risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000. This includes watching programmes on devices such as your laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD recorder or anything else. Your hall's licence won’t cover you, and you may not be covered by your parents’ licence.  Don’t get caught out! Visit the TV Licensing website to find out if you need a licence  tvlicensing.co.uk.

Getting a refund

Good news if you move out of your term-time address for the summer months, you can request a refund for the cost of the license for that time – which could be around £37. As long as your licence is still valid for at least three full calendar months and you don’t need it again before it expires.

Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.