What if my circumstances change?

If your personal circumstances change e.g. due to bereavement or a substantial change in your household income, notify Student Finance England on +44 (0) 300 100 0607 or contact the relevant funding body.

What to do if you are not happy with your programme

If you are not happy with your chosen programme we have a network of advisors and support services that can help you to resolve the issue.

We don’t want to see you go, but if you do decide to leave we want to ensure that this happens as smoothly as possible, that you receive appropriate advice and that all the relevant people are informed that you have left. We would also like to know if there is anything which could be improved for students now and in the future.

Talk it through

If you are not happy with your chosen programme you should normally talk to your mentor or head of studies (course leader for students on postgraduate professional courses). They will give you academic advice and possibly refer you to one of the advisors or support services listed at the bottom of this page to help you make the right decisions. If you prefer, you can contact one of the support services yourself, without talking to your tutor, before you make any decisions.

The most important thing is that you obtain as much information as possible before you make any decisions about your future. You should consider the following questions:

  • Is it the programme or is there something else that is the problem? Will leaving really solve things? 
  • Have I chosen the right modules? Can I change my module combination? 
  • Is there another programme at DMU, or at another university, which would suit me better? Does the programme I want to do really exist at another university? 
  • Will I get help with my fees or a loan or grant for another programme if I transfer or take some time out? Will I get a tuition fee refund? 
  • Should I move back home? What about my tenancy agreement? 
  • Will I be entitled to any benefits if I take some time out? 
  • Will I be able to get a job?
  • When will I have to start repaying my student loan?
  • Will I face the same problems at another university?

DMU’s advisors and support services can help you to answer these questions. You might also need to talk things through with your parents or partner, but the final decision must be yours.

Changing programmes (transferring)

Before you decide to transfer from one programme to another, either at DMU or at another university, read the information in the appropriate prospectus carefully and find out how the transfer might affect your entitlement to tuition fees support, and loans and grants, before you make your final decision. If the new admissions tutor is able to accept you, then you must ask your tutor at DMU to complete the appropriate form on your behalf.

Taking time out (interrupting) or leaving higher education (withdrawing)

Before you decide to interrupt or withdraw, it is in your own interests to check out your situation in terms of tuition fees, loans, grants, benefits etc. If you do decide to interrupt or withdraw, you must talk to your tutor. It would be helpful if you gave them your own records. They will then complete the appropriate form on your behalf.

Staff in DMU's Finance - Income Team  will calculate any tuition fee refunds or changes and DMU's Student Finance and Welfare Team will inform all necessary people and organisations, including local authoritie and the Student Loans Company.

There may be an adverse effect on your present and future entitlement to tuition fee support and to loans, grants and benefits if your data is incorrect. In addition you may not receive any tuition fee refund you may be entitled to.

Sources of information at DMU

Academic advice

  • Your mentor, head of studies or course leader
  • Your faculty office
  • De Montfort University Students’ Union welfare and education advisors

Other programmes at DMU or at other HE institutions

  • DMU prospectus
  • Other HE institution prospectuses 
  • Careers Advisory Service

Loans, grants, awards and tuition fees 

  • Student Gateway - Student Finance and Welfare 
  • Students’ Union welfare and education advisors

Accommodation and tenancy 

  • Student housing 
  • Student Gateway -  Welfare Officers
  • Student Union welfare and education advisors 
  • Law Clinic

Disabilities and health problems 

  • Student Gateway - Disability Advice and Support
  • Student Union welfare and education advisors 
  • Student Health Services

Useful telephone numbers

DMU central switchboard
+44 (0)116 255 1551

Student Administrative Support, Student and Academic Services
+44 (0)116 257 7595 (Option 3)

Student Finance and Welfare Team 
+44 (0)116 257 7595 (Option 3)

Student Union Welfare and Education Centres
+44 (0)116 255 5576

Student Housing
+44 (0)116 255 1551 Ext 8600

Careers Advisory Service
+44 (0)116 257 7595

Law Clinic 
+44 (0)116 207 8045/8171

Student Health Service 
+44 (0)116 255 3388

+44 (0)116 257 7604

Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.