Leaving your course (withdrawing)

The information on this page primarily relates to those students being funded by Student Finance England. If you are funded by an alternate provider (such as the NHS), we would recommend that you contact Student Finance and Welfare to discuss your individual circumstances.

If you are thinking of withdrawing from your studies you will need to let both the University and Student Finance England know as soon as possible.

If you withdraw permanently from your course during the academic year, Student Finance England will reassess the amount of student finance you are entitled to.  You will receive a new notification letter showing the student finance now available to you, this will replace any earlier notification letters sent to you.  If you were paid a grant or bursary, they will take into account the financial hardship that may be caused from stopping some or all of your student finance for the term you withdrew in.  You will not be paid any student finance for subsequent terms.  If you have been overpaid as a result of withdrawing from your course Student Finance England will contact you about repaying this.

Affect on your finances

Tuition Fees

Once a term has started, you are liable for the full fee for that term even if you withdraw or withdraw. The fees per term are proportioned as follows:

  • Term 1 – 25%
  • Term 2 – 25%
  • Term 3 – 50%

If you withdraw part way through a term you will be liable for the whole fee for that term.  If you are receiving a Tuition Fee Loan to pay your fees, then you will still be eligible for enough Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of your fees for the term you withdraw in.

Please also ensure you refer to the Tuition Fee Charging and Refunding Policy relating to your year of entry:


Maintenance Loan and Grants (inc. Special Support Grant)

Grants and loans for living costs are paid in termly instalments, to cover costs for the duration of that term. Where a student withdraws from their course part way through a term, Student Finance England will reassess these funds from the first day of the academic year until the official date of withdrawal. Any funds that you have received in excess of this reassessment will need repaying to Student Finance England. They will be in touch with you to arrange these repayments.

Repaying your loans - All students have to repay the loan elements of the student funding once they leave their course, either through withdrawal or completion. You will be expected to start making repayments from the April after you leave the course, but only when your income is over £21,000 (or £16,910 for students who started their course prior to 2012).

Mainenance Grants are only available to students who started their course prior to September 2016

For more information about repaying your student loans please visit https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/repayments

Returning to higher education in the future

If you withdraw from your studies, then your student funding stops with immediate effect.

If you want to return to higher education in the future, you can re-apply for student funding. However, any previous study you have done will be taken into account when calculating your funding entitlement.

Normally a student is entitled to funding for the duration of the course plus one extra year. However, Student Finance England will subtract from this entitlement any previous study already undertaken. If you withdraw part way through the year, then this will be treated as a full year taken from your entitlement.

For example, if a student withdraws during the first year of a previous full-time higher education course, then decides to return to higher education a year later; they can expect to receive support for the duration of their new course.

If you are thinking about withdrawing from your course, we would strongly urge you to contact Student Finance and Welfare to discuss how this may impact on your current and future student funding.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any other student funds available to me?

If you withdraw from your course, your student status will come to an end. Therefore there aren’t any student funds available to you. If you require an income, you should contact the Job Centre Plus to enquire about Job Seekers Allowance and other benefits you might be eligible to. Alternatively, complete the turn2us benefits calculator to see which benefits ou might be entitled to.


Will I still have to pay for my accommodation if I withdraw?

You will need to check this with your accommodation provider (i.e. the letting agent or landlord). As you have entered into a contract with the accommodation provider, by virtue of a tenancy agreement, they may ask you to keep up payments. However, it is important you discuss this with them as every accommodation provider operates differently.

If you are in DMU managed halls of residence, you can contact The Accommodation Office to discuss things further.

If you are in private managed accommodation, it would be worth contacting the DSU Welfare to discuss your accommodation liability.


I have a student bank account, how will this be affected?

You will need to contact your bank and inform them of your withdrawal. They may convert it back to a standard current account, which may affect any overdraft you have with them. Each bank operates differently, so we would recommend you speak to you bank for more detailed information.


I am receiving a DMU bursary or scholarship, what will happen to this?

Your eligibility for the payment of scholarships and bursaries will also depend on the date of your withdrawal. If you withdraw before a payment, you will not be eligible for that payment or any further payments. If you withdraw on the date of payment or afterwards you will be entitled to the payments up to that point. If a payment is made after your withdrawal in error, the University will recover the payment.


Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.