Disabled Students' Allowance
The Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) are government support packages designed to pay for extra costs a student has at university as a result of the effects of their disability, medical condition, Specific Learning Difference or mental health condition on their studies.
DSAs funding is allocated to the individual student and not the university. It is the student's responsibility to ensure they engage fully in the process of applying for DSAs.
DSAs will pay for:
- Study related support, including specialist equipment and human support to help the student overcome the effects of their disability on their studies.
DSAs will not pay for:
- Costs a student would have incurred whether or not they were at university;
- Non-disability related costs incurred by all students on a particular course.
DSAs are not:
- A loan so you will not have to repay them when you have graduated;
- Classed as income so do not affect State Benefits.
- The application process can take approximately 12 weeks from submitting your application form;
- You can apply before you have chosen your course;
- To ensure that your support package is available for your studies we encourage students and applicants to apply as early as possible.
How to Apply:
- Post your application form to your funding body with evidence confirming your disability (ensure you keep a copy of the originals for your own records).
- When your funding body has processed your application they will send you a
confirmation letter requesting you to arrange a Study Needs Assessment.
- You can find details of Assessment Centres at http://www.dsa-qag.org.uk/students/find-an-assessment-centre
- De Montfort University Centre for Accessibility Needs (DMU-CAN) carry out
assessments on campus. To book an appointment, contact us on:
T: 0116 2577354
Non-Medical Helper (NMH) Provision:
Non-Medical Helper (NMH) provision funded through the Disabled Students' Allowances must be accredited by the Disabled Students' Allowances Quality Assurance Group (DSA-QAG).
Current rates for NMH provision offered by Disability Advice and Support.