Appointments and contact us
If you are planning on making a face-to-face counselling or e-counselling appointment, please read the following important information:
If you have NOT used DMU Counselling before:
- Please book a Single Point of Access (SPA) appointment. SPA appointments enable us to fully assess your counselling and wellbeing needs to ensure that you have access to the full range of appropriate DMU resources and services.
- At the end of your SPA appointment you will leave with an Action Plan of what to do next e.g. booking counselling and/or appointments with other services.
- The 30 minute SPA appointments are offered daily and can be booked on-line via MyGateway
- On the MyGateway Home Page select 'Appointments' from the top menu bar. You will be asked 'What do you want to talk about?' Enter Single Point of Access for the Appointments Calendar and book an appointment that is convenient for you.
- You can also book SPA appointments in person at Student Gateway reception, which is located on the ground floor of Gateway House.
- PLEASE NOTE: WE WILL BE UNABLE TO OFFER YOU COUNSELLING UNTIL YOU HAVE HAD A SPA APPOINTMENT
If you have ALREADY used DMU Counselling:
- To discuss the range of support options available such as self-help, wellbeing workshops, coaching and mentoring, please book a SPA appointment (see instructions above)
- If you know you need further counselling, go to your MyGateway Home Page, complete the Counselling Registration Form (right-hand side) and select either the face-to-face counselling or e-counselling application form as appropriate
- On submission of your form we will contact you about arranging an initial counselling appointment
For any guidance on our application process or for general counselling enquiries please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Student Gateway reception (ground floor, Gateway House) if you prefer.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS CURRENTLY ABOUT A 2-3 WEEK WAIT FOR AN INITIAL COUNSELLING APPOINTMENT.
The service is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 5:15pm and 6:30pm throughout the year. Appointments are around 50 minutes to one hour.
If you are unhappy with the service you have received from us you are welcome to contact Trevor Butlin, Team Leader at email@example.com. There is also a university complaints procedure which we can signpost you to if appropriate.
If you find that there has not been a ‘good fit’ with your counsellor (for example you want a counsellor of a different gender or therapeutic approach) you are welcome to contact the service and request a change of counsellor. It is often helpful if you can discuss this with your counsellor first as they will be open to discussing this and it may be possible for changes to be made without the need to change counsellor.