Mature students at DMU
A third of our students are over 21 when they start at DMU. Coming back into education whether after taking time out to; raise a family, work, travel or care for someone, can be a daunting prospect but also offers great opportunities. These could be self-development, career change or professional progression.
At DMU we try and make sure all our students feel part of our community and are able to take part in the activities on offer alongside academic study.
Read a case study from a mature student at DMU.
De Montfort Student Union have a Mature Students Representative, read more here. Think about joining the Mature Students’ Society or another society of interest.
Even if you have commitments in Leicester, and cannot join trips or placements far from home, there are many ways to enrich your DMU experience. Think about what is practical for you. You could attend a language class on campus, benefit from mentoring or take part in a short-term volunteering opportunity. Or you could boost your cultural awareness by becoming a buddy to an international student.
Read more here:
• UK-based #DMUglobal opportunities
• #DMUlocal student volunteering
Key things to remember
- Financial issues are a big part of all students’ lives. Keep organised and check you are getting everything you are entitled to. Student Finance and Welfare have lots of information and a student budget calculator to help you manage your finances.
- Embrace your maturity. Your past experience can be an asset in your academic work. You may be able to bring real life examples from the life of work, parenting or other areas.
- The Centre for Learning and Study Support runs workshops to develop academic skills, and the Maths Learning Centre is open to all maths phobics and enthusiasts.
- Download the Blackboard Mobile Learn app for free.
- Think about ways to utilise time between lectures. There are several study areas and quieter spaces on campus where you could do work, or recharge your batteries. Have a look inside Breathing Space in Portland Building, for students of all religions and none.
Good luck and enjoy your time at De Montfort University!